Okay, Help Me With Just What's Happened to PTVL?

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.

Okay, Help Me With Just What's Happened to PTVL?

Postby bradrian » Tue Sep 04, 2007 11:19 am

Can somebody give me a bit of the backstory and explain what changes I'm required to make?
Why can't I get my listings from Zap2It with Weblink, like before, to use with PTVL?
Why do I now have to pay for listings which I've never had to pay for before?
I was forced to download a new version of Weblink, but who supports it? What about PTVL?
bradrian

Re: Okay, Help Me With Just What's Happened to PTVL?

Postby whurlston » Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:54 pm

bradrian wrote:Can somebody give me a bit of the backstory and explain what changes I'm required to make?
See this thread: viewtopic.php?f=9&t=49
bradrian wrote:Why can't I get my listings from Zap2It with Weblink, like before, to use with PTVL?
Because Zap2It labs (where WebLink got the data) no longer exists.
bradrian wrote:Why do I now have to pay for listings which I've never had to pay for before?
Because the people that offered the data for free no longer offer it for free.
For several years we have offered a free TV listings service to hobbyists for their own personal, noncommercial use. In October of 2004 we posted here an open letter saying the future of Zap2it Labs was at risk because of certain growing misuses of the Zap2it Labs data. Unfortunately this misuse has continued and grown. These misuses, combined with other business factors have led to the decision to discontinue Zap2it Labs effective September 1, 2007. ...

bradrian wrote:I was forced to download a new version of Weblink, but who supports it?
You were "forced" to download the new version because the data comes from a new source.
bradrian wrote:What about PTVL?
See the above mentioned thread.
whurlston

Postby bradrian » Wed Sep 05, 2007 6:25 am

Thanks for the information. I had seen that thread, of course, but it didn't really explain what was behind it all -- at least not where it was easy to understand.
bradrian

Postby whurlston » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:50 pm

No problem. In short, the changes were because of Zap2It Labs shutting down and now Schedules Direct was formed to basically split the cost of buying the data (since it's no longer free) between everyone, thereby making it as affordable as possible. These guys aren't making money off of it but they should be. They've done a great job pulling together an solution on very short notice.
whurlston

Return to Approved Applications