Need help selecting an approved application

Please use this Forum to discuss Approved Applications (if something is approved, what version, etc)
Forum rules
So folks can help you, include in the subject the software package you're using and the version number in the body.

Need help selecting an approved application

Postby jdanitsc » Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:22 pm

I have finally had to replace my HP 2400 with an Ipod Touch, at least for daily use. I have been using PVTL on the HP, but of course no such app exists for IOS devices (actually I did find one, but it isn’t a free app).

I need something to run on my laptop that has the following requirements:
Allows complex searches

Reminders are put into Outlook (so they can be synced to the Ipod)

Easy to set up (I will be replacing this computer in the near future)

Works on a slate computer (I use a TX2-1275 DX and it will be replaced by the Fujitsu Lifebook T900 if I can afford it)

All suggestions are welcome.
jdanitsc

Re: Need help selecting an approved application

Postby rshendershot » Tue Apr 19, 2011 11:12 am

Freeguide-TV is multi-platform and allows you to search descriptions and/or titles , as well as some other filters like case sensitivity so it might work for you. You'll need the full java stack so the laptop should be no problem but I don't think it would run on IOS. There are several exporters but nothing specifically for Outlook. Would caldav be enough?
rshendershot

Postby jdanitsc » Thu May 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Freeguide is the one I have been looking at using. It does seem the most flexible. I'm just not looking forward to configuring it, since it is not as easy to use out of the box as PocketTV Listings I have been using. I just wish that someone would make an IOS app for the Ipad where you can download the listings in xmltv format, package them, copy them to the Ipad via Itunes and then have the app unpackage the file and display the weekly listings. This can't be that hard. In my copious free time, maybe I should learn Xcode.
jdanitsc

Postby rshendershot » Sat May 14, 2011 7:55 am

The SchedulesDirect listings could not be made available on iTunes due to the licensing from the source (Tribune Media Services) and I'm not sure where that would fit with your need. xmltv isn't really a format though it does massage the data into XML so that any user can expect mostly the same field elements no matter the listings source (there's a couple dozen listings 'grabbers' that do the specific work for the specific source - sources from all over the world). Freeguide is definitely built on those field definitions and I think SchedulesDirect reflects that heritage too to some extent.

I might suggest that an iPod IOS app would want to use the SchedulesDirect web service not xmltv due mostly to constraints of the Apple Inc. TOS. Last I knew it could not run arbitrary programs like xmltv (presuming that could be built for IOS). There are several folks here, including myself, who have written code to that web service but me has no iStuff.... ;)

I should correct myself when I previously mentioned caldav which (a server thing) would also be against the use policy of SchedulesDirect data. However, creating iCalendar files would allow you to import to your scheduling calendar application and if the iPod application you use supports, you could directly import to your calendar. In theory...

I took a look at our Freeguide exporters and, well, didn't really know the specifics so didn't put too much time to it. If you want to parse xmltv output you can use xmltv directly, and Freeguide (or any compatible program) could help in displaying but would really be just another step in the way of getting your listings to the iPod.

Hope this is helpful and looking forward to your comments,
-Rick
rshendershot

Postby rmeden » Sat May 14, 2011 9:33 pm

Rick... a few corrections..

XMLTV is many things ( as I say on the xmltv.org web page )
* XMLTV is a very popular XML based file format for describing TV listings. see XMLTVFormat
* XMLTV is a perl module that helps to create XMLTV formatted documents. see XMLTVModule
* XMLTV is a collection of tools to obtain, manipulate, and search TV Listings. see XMLTVProject

So the xmltv.exe (part of the XMLTV SF project) is but one. The other uses are still XMLTV.

I agree that a IOS app would probably be better polling the TMS servers directly using SOAP. A non-public web page could also be used to feed it xmltv formatted listings, but that doesn't give you a simple setup for iPhone users.

------------
IANAL but If you published your watching schedule via a private ical feed, I think it would be ok. Even converting an entire guide to iCal would be ok, so long as it's not on a public server. IMHO, that's no different than putting it in XMLTV format.... the key is not to redistribute it.

-----------
The biggest problem facing a IOS app is I-Tunes requires developers to pay, even for free apps. A developer would probably want to recoup that cost via ads which makes it commercial.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby rshendershot » Sun May 15, 2011 7:46 am

Hi Robert, thanks for the corrections!

...differs from most other XML-based TV listings formats in that it is written from the user's point of view, rather that the broadcaster's.

I was down-playing the standardized XMLTV Format in favor of its basic XML nature thinking the OP might have quite different needs with the target being iPod. But it is, of course.
rshendershot

Postby sakarnesky » Sat Jun 18, 2011 6:10 pm

I too am interested in an app for TV listings for the iPad. While I am able to access TV Guide listings when I have a Wi-Fi connection, it would be nice to be able to access listings offline. I am definitely not a developer, just a user. Is there any way to follow this discussion, and receive alerts when updates are posted? Or to be notified when/if an iPad app is available? Thanks to the developers out there!
sakarnesky

Return to Approved Applications