Will SOAP api continue? Website never conn'd to JSON?

Discussion about Schedules Direct grabber code and data formats.

Will SOAP api continue? Website never conn'd to JSON?

Postby airprakken » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:14 pm

I am using the SOAP XML api without difficulty in my custom pvr code:
http://dd.schedulesdirect.org/tech/tmsd ... ivery.wsdl

I convert it immediately to JSON, which led me to test the new JSON service. There I found that, as documented, my website (http://www.schedulesdirect.org) defined lineup does not feed into the JSON. Also, the schedule period requested is less flexible -- but I didn't spend a lot of time on that. As of now, I would prefer to stay with the old interface for my limited purposes.

Q1: Will the old SOAP interface continue to be available indefinitely ?

Q2: Will the website defined lineups NEVER be connected to the JSON api? Maybe I'm missing something here, but it seems odd to provide a website which is useless -- unless, of course, the old interface continues to be available.
airprakken

Re: Will SOAP api continue? Website never conn'd to JSON?

Postby rmeden » Wed Dec 10, 2014 7:07 pm

SD-JSON doesn't use lineups the same way as SD-DD, so I doubt they'll ever talk to each other.

There are no plans to get rid of SD-DD.... that baby was just born! Feel free to keep using it. JSON does have more features, but if you don't need them, stick with SD-DD (SOAP/XML service)

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Will SOAP api continue? Website never conn'd to JSON?

Postby GameGod » Thu Dec 11, 2014 8:08 am

I had the same issue, so I created a hybrid solution. The biggest reason I decided to do this is that the SOAP data is only updated once a day, as opposed to upto four times on the JSON side.

My custom grabber uses the SOAP API to get the channel lineup and then the actual data using the JSON API. This requires the user to setup the SOAP -> JSON channel lineup map, once, as a part of the configuration process. This allows me to maintain my lineup via the web interface, but get all the extra features that the JSON API provides.
GameGod

Return to Developers Corner