I'm ready for public testing of my DataDirect replacement service! This is designed to be a drop-in replacement for the existing TMS/Gracenote DataDirect service. Apps can point to a new URL, or users can edit their local hosts file.
Thanks to all the alpha testers! I don't think any of these issues are "show stoppers" and I need better system load info. You can easily move back to TMS DD.
- Expiration Date may be slightly different. (This was caused by a bug in the SD web app, now fixed)
- Data is only updated daily. That's the way it's going to be folks! If you want frequent updates, switch to JSON!
- Some shows may be missing from the start of the request window. TMS DD always starts with "what's on now". The new service reports "what's on now, but only looks 4 hours before the start time. So if a show started 4 hours before the start of the request, it won't be in the data. I don't think this matters in practice (it would be in a previous day's grab), but makes diff testing a bit harder.
- TMS DD provides additional channels. This is often a bug in TMS DD. When TMS removes a station-id from the published lineup, it is not always removed from an edited lineup. This is probably one of the causes folks need to use the "re-add lineup" option from time to time. I consider this a non-issue, SD DD is actually correct.
- Items are in a different order. It doesn't matter to apps, but does make doing a diff harder. Sorry.
- SD-DD Genre-Relevance only reports the most important Genre. Others will be added back later.
- Changes to your SD lineup are not reflected on the SD-DD service. Lineup change code isn't ready yet (but close). If you need me to reset your sd-dd lineup, let me know.
- SD-DD only appears to have 13 days of data
- Sometimes Unicode is not always converted to UTF-8. A downloading again normally works, very strange!
- Amazon's load balancer changes over time. If you use dd.scheduelsdirect.org this isn't a problem. If you need to use a hosts file, use this address now
184.108.40.206 (that's a virtual IP w/o the load balancer)
The best way to use the new SD-DD service is by updating your application. In your code, replace the two TMS hostnames with "dd.schedulesdirect.org".
Code: Select all
WSDL: http://dd.schedulesdirect.org/tech/tmsdatadirect/schedulesdirect/tvDataDelivery.wsdl Service: http://dd.schedulesdirect.org/schedulesdirect/tvlistings/xtvdService
On Unix/Linux/Mac edit /etc/hosts (superuser required).
On Windows, edit %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\etc (normally c:\windows\..., (admin rights required, make sure your editor doesn't add ".TXT)
Add this line:
Code: Select all
220.127.116.11 docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
I'm looking forward to feedback!