XMLTV batch job

XMLTV batch job

Postby karl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:41 am

Hello, I would like to use the XMLTV to automatically download the TV lists every weekend mid-night. Could any kind person tell me how to do? Thank you in advance!

The operating system which I am currently using is the Windows XP pro. SP3. Right now, I only know of using "xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --configure" and "xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --output tv.xml" from the Command-line Prompt, to configure and download the XML files. An XML file has to be automatically loaded into the tables in a SQL 2008 database every weekend mid-night. I just would like to find some convenient ways if the XMLTV can automatically download the XML file from SD every weekend mid-night without any personal intervention, just as a batch job. Could you help me? Thank you in advance!
Last edited by karl on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
karl

Re: XMLTV batch job

Postby rmeden » Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:16 am

What operating system?
Do you know where you want to put the data?
Are you currently using it from the command line? If so, what command?
What application are you using?

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby karl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:38 am

The operating system which I am currently using is the Windows XP pro. SP3. Right now, I only know of using "xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --configure" and "xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --output tv.xml" from the Command-line Prompt, to configure and download the XML files. An XML file has to be automatically loaded into the tables in a SQL 2008 database every weekend mid-night. I just would like to find some convenient ways if the XMLTV can automatically download the XML file from SD every weekend mid-night without any personal intervention, just as a batch job. Could you help me? Thank you in advance!
karl

Postby rmeden » Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:59 pm

Start -> Control Panel -> Scheduled Tasks -> Add Scheduled Tasks

You just need to put in the "xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --output tv.xml" line... since it's one line you really don't even need a batch file. If you want a batch file, you can put that line in a file called "filename.bat"

I would put it in the same job that loads the sql database.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby karl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:15 pm

I see, I will try it immediately .thank you so much!
karl

Postby karl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:00 pm

The Command Prompt can be opened schedulely, but how could automatically put in the line "xmltv.exe tv_grab_na_dd --output tv.xml" ?
karl

Postby rmeden » Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:28 pm

you should be able to type that in the scheduler, maybe not via the wizard...

Create a text file calling it something.bat and put that one line in it. Then add that one line to the scheduler.

If that doesn't work, go buy a book or take a class on windows that covers shell programming.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby karl » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:30 pm

I am so happy that It works right now! Thank you very much!
karl

Return to General Discussions