Internet video

Internet video

Postby LADave » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:27 pm

Has integration of information about online streaming and downloadable video been discussed here? Sorry if this is a newbie question, but my searches weren't successful.
LADave

Re: Internet video

Postby rmeden » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:06 pm

nope... let's discuss. :)
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby LADave » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:53 pm

I was looking at applications like Miro http://www.getmiro.com/ that do online video exclusively (both streaming and static downloadables), thinking it would be nice to integrate links to these sources with broadcast/cable/satellite schedules.

Even if online distribution isn't completely ready for prime time, it's already much more global -- or at least cheaper for foreign content -- than via geographically-defined services. In theory there should be more niche material in all respects, with access hurdles as low as a camcorder plus editing software.
LADave

Postby xris » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:21 pm

Tribune has offered to sell us an expanded data feed that links to online TV feeds at sites like abc.com. It's not a separate list of shows like you might find on Hulu, but is instead a link to shows in the current lineups that are available on broadcasters' websites in case you missed the live showing.

I was initially thrilled when I saw this data feed, but since MythTV is my primary viewing source, it occurred to me that most of these sources wouldn't be accessible through MythTV's UI (since they require a real web browser). Once I realized that, I wasn't sure how valuable the feed would be in comparison to other things like adding feeds for Europe, etc.

-Chris
xris
SD Board Member

Postby disafan » Tue Jul 07, 2009 6:29 am

I think that the links could be useful, if MythTV and other PVRs could be expanded to use the data. I think the problem is assuming that if the new data became available that no one would try to expand them to take advantage of it.

Specifically with MythTV, version 0.22 is supposed to support to include "Support for flash and javascript when using Qt 4.5 (including Hulu and iPlayer)" in the new MythBrowser. How to integrate the data into the scheduler might be a subject of much debate, but it is a debate that has already started, as people want to integrate flash-based sources in.
disafan

Postby xris » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:03 pm

disafan wrote:I think that the links could be useful, if MythTV and other PVRs could be expanded to use the data. I think the problem is assuming that if the new data became available that no one would try to expand them to take advantage of it. .

I do as well, which is why we're looking into it. It all comes down to a matter of expense -- if we pay TMS for this extra set of data, there may be other things (international listings, meta data for DVDs, funding for trade show exhibits, etc.) that our members and member applications might miss out on instead.
xris
SD Board Member

Postby disafan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:59 pm

Well, personally, the only thought I can suggest, assuming I'm in a position to do so, is this. Get the specs on how the data would be carried, deliver it to the developers of the approved applications, and challenge them to submit how they would integrate that into their software. If the proposals seem to indicate they have a workable system they could have up running in a not too far in the future release, it may be worth it.

The problem is none of the PVR software has such a feature, which could be used now. Since I use MythTV, I'll use that as a specific example. The only way the next version(0.22) supports streaming media is using MythNews, through RSS Enclosures. Since I am waiting for an official release, I haven't seen how that works for those using the SVN version.

However, that is not something that would work for the data you are proposing. It would require a major effort, not to mention a lot of discussions of paradigms and conventions to address it. If you have the data, how do you use it in conjunction with real-time scheduling? Best to have the discussion now, before the funds are allocated, if they are.
disafan

Postby Chet55rg » Tue Jan 19, 2010 8:44 am

I currently use GB-PVR and have used MythTV in the past. However, I find myself streaming full episodes from the browser pretty often these days. I have not yet found an interface that replaces my mouse and browser (but I will keep looking). I have tried boxee in the past, but need to try the latest version.
Chet55rg

Postby patience » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:29 am

We all know about YouTube, of course. It’s changed everything in ways that surprised many of us. But it’s more than that. It’s iMovie. It’s iPod videos. It’s DIY. It’s the Subservient Chicken. And it’s something else.
Its my life
patience

Postby rmeden » Sat Jan 30, 2010 8:02 pm

By the time I get around to watching a show, it's no longer available via streaming.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Return to General Discussions