Video On Demand listings?

Video On Demand listings?

Postby cheetah » Mon Oct 06, 2008 5:46 pm

I thought I'd seen some mention of this in the past, but was unable to find it hunting through the forums or the FAQ.

Is there any plan for SD to add listings for VOD services like Comcast's OnDemand? In addition to any problems getting the listing data for this, I can foresee issues with the SD and xmltv formats, since these programs don't have a defined start and end.

That said, I think it'd be a very cool, and useful addition to the data.
cheetah

Re: Video On Demand listings?

Postby rmeden » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:01 am

We already have a problem not being able to get data for PPV, VOD would be even worse. As you mentioned, even if we did get it, it doesn't really have a schedule. If we ever get the data, we can work on a way to distribute it.

(It amazes me that PPV data isn't available.. all it can do is make the providers money!)

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Video On Demand listings?

Postby PTVBforever » Sat May 16, 2009 8:44 pm

rmeden wrote:We already have a problem not being able to get data for PPV, VOD would be even worse. As you mentioned, even if we did get it, it doesn't really have a schedule. If we ever get the data, we can work on a way to distribute it.

(It amazes me that PPV data isn't available.. all it can do is make the providers money!)

Robert

Hi Robert,

I think there is a meaningful schedule for VOD: when does a show become available and when is it removed. Conceptually, it's the same as the normal start- and end-time, except for an attribute indicating that the show can be started at any time between those points.

I couldn't find a VOD schedule on Comcast's website (don't know about other cable cos), so if SD could provide one it might be offering a unique service. I did find VOD schedules for some of the content providers (HBO, Encore, Starz), which suggests that those companies just think of VOD as an additional feed. Do you think TMS might be able to get that additional "feed" data for us? As VOD grows in popularity, Tribune's other customers may want that data as well.

Charles

P.S.: Thanks again for this great service.
PTVBforever

Return to General Discussions