Daylight Savings Time

danielk
SD Board Member

Daylight Savings Time

Post by danielk » Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:35 am

I've been reading through our e-mails at the admin address and there are some questions about adjusting to Sunday's time changes . I know with MythTV you can run "mythfilldatabase --refresh-all" and it will readjust the data to the new local time. But when it comes to other applications, I don't know how you make the adjustment. Do people here have any advice for Pocket TV Browser and other applications?

shrink

Re: Daylight Savings Time

Post by shrink » Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:46 am

danielk wrote:I've been reading through our e-mails at the admin address and there are some questions about adjusting to Sunday's time changes . I know with MythTV you can run "mythfilldatabase --refresh-all" and it will readjust the data to the new local time. But when it comes to other applications, I don't know how you make the adjustment. Do people here have any advice for Pocket TV Browser and other applications?
I use PTVB and here's what I did:
I opened the xmltv folder and edited the "tv_grab_na_dd.conf" file. I just changed the TimeZone directly in this file. It all worked out fine.
alan
Alan B.
Ocean New Jersey

wensail

Post by wensail » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:32 pm

I use Pocket TV Browser, too. After the switch from Daylight Savings Time I didn't do anything but pick up a new download via Schedules Direct on Sunday morning, after the time change, and all my listings were correct as soon as it did the hot sync. Any TV listings I had updated before the time change were one hour wrong. As soon as I did a fresh schedule update by downloading new listings after the DST change, I had correct data and I was able to pick up 14 days ahead. Took me about 40 seconds to correct it without looking for files I hardly understand and might not know where to find. It worked OK before the time change and it worked fine after that. Just needed refreshing. If I was smarter at this, I'd do it with more finesse. 40 seconds of dumb-proof downloading was enough for me. ;) Hope my way can help others, too.

shrink

Post by shrink » Mon Nov 05, 2007 4:51 pm

Until I changed the time zone manually, all my listings were 1 hr off even after persistent fiddling and downloading. I use a bat file to automatically download and run "Tweak".
Wendy, are using this arrangement or just PTVB alone?
alan
Alan B.
Ocean New Jersey

wensail

Post by wensail » Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:06 am

Alan,
No bat file for me, no Tweak. Just PTVB (I have TV Grid Lisitng so I get to see listings as a grid, but that is immaterial to the update technique) and XMLTV for the grabber, both the most current version pulling in thru SD. I get too overwhelmed by trying to master those configurations within the files (if I could even find the files!), so for me it's just easier to reload on the morning of the time shift and hot sync my Palm TE2.
W.

shrink

Post by shrink » Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:26 pm

Yep, if you're not using the infamous bat file(like the bat cave?), then you need do nothing. PTVB as a standalone will self correct. If you have all the schmaltz, then YOU have to do it manually.
Everything is a trade-off.
alan
Alan B.
Ocean New Jersey