Is 7 days long enough?

Kevin

Is 7 days long enough?

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 8:21 am

I'm not criticizing, or trying to incite a flame. This is an honest question.

When I first built a MythTV system it was for fun. I wanted to take an old computer and play around with it. I bought a tuner card and then started tweaking. It probably took over a week before I had everything working. I now love MythTV and couldn't live without it, have spent much more money on the system, and think that Schedules Direct is providing an awesome service at a very affordable price.

So, here's my issue: If I was just now starting to play around with MythTV, part of the process would probably be signing up for an SD account and using the trial (because I'm just playing around, right?). The problem is if after 7 days I still don't have the system working, am already frustrated a bit, I'm then presented with spending $20 to get listing data for a system that isn't even working... If I decide I have already sunk too much time and money into a system and spending another $20 isn't worth it, then we've now lost a potential MythTV community member.

I feel that we want the MythTV and XMLTV communities to be as large as possible. In order for this to happen the barrier to entry needs to be as low as possible.

So, what do you guys think? Is 7 days long enough? If I had to choose a trial period I would lean more towards 30days or a month.

Again, please keep this to a civil discussion. I'm not saying that SD is charging too much money, especially given the value of information. However, I used MythTV for 2 years prior to Zap2it Labs shutting down so I was given the opportunity to see the value of listing data. Is 7 days long enough for a new user to see the value?

slim

Re: Is 7 days long enough?

Post by slim » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:08 am

Yes.

vjorrand

Post by vjorrand » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:30 am

I think that 7 days is enough to see the value.

However I do have a suggestion:
I think that once SD hosts the service themselves it would be nice to have a public test id and password, that would respond with fake data (a few fake channels, with fake schedules). This would allow someone to play around, maybe start writing a custom application... And only start paying for the service when they start really using the application.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:32 am

I think 7 days is enough to get a feeling "if it will work". I think most Myth users start with a preconfigured distro.

There hasn't been a huge number of folks complaining about the 7 day limit.

In addition the account will work with *any* application, not just the one you sign up with.

Robert

Kevin

Post by Kevin » Wed Oct 24, 2007 1:56 pm

rmeden wrote: There hasn't been a huge number of folks complaining about the 7 day limit.
But do you think a new user just playing around with the system would complain? It would be interesting to find out how many of the people who are currently signed up for an SD account never used Z2L...

I do like the idea of a public test server.

amckie

Post by amckie » Wed Oct 24, 2007 3:01 pm

The premise of the original question seems to be that $20 is too much to pay for a service that might not get used long-term. Speaking only for myself, I don't think $20 is onerous, especially since I could foresee allocating well more than $20 worth of hardware to the experiment at the same time.

-A

mjezell

Post by mjezell » Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:18 am

I think that most of us who have built their myth system(s) from scratch or even started with a pre-configured package does this for the love of learning and building. If you go into a project with a preconceived time frame for achieving completion you are probably setting your self up for disappointment. If you are new to myth and you will only be allotting a week to having it up and running, then you probably need to look at a commercial product like TiVo which may have you running in that time frame. Myth and projects like myth are all considered bata software which by it's nature is not considered ready for general application (although in my opinion all software is bata), so when working with these projects any components that are needed,i.e. SD, to preform certain tasks are just part of the cost of the project. Why SD gives a 7 day trial period is probably part of the open source mantra, a bonus. You don't need SD to know that myth is working and expecting to be guaranteed that everything is perfect before paying has never been a workable business plan anyway. And yes like the tuner card you need for myth, other things have to be payed for too.

schmunk

Post by schmunk » Sat Nov 03, 2007 12:22 am

My myth setup was a big learning curve, I too felt like paying was taking a chance but it was so worth it! Now I can record anything, burn it to a DVD, stream it to any computer in my house, set up recording remotely. Also I am able to watch HD tv and Digital cable and use S-video out to my analog TV, and it looks like DVD quality! At first I considered MS MCE, but really wasn't too hot on their free guide, that automaticaly plugs in commercial data that you have no control over. The cost of SD is nothing for the satisfactin you will get. I have been at it for about two months now, and still have some things to work out, but if I look back at when I started I can see a lot of progress. It is so worth it!

slim

Post by slim » Wed Nov 14, 2007 11:28 am

schmunk wrote:My myth setup was a big learning curve, I too felt like paying was taking a chance but it was so worth it! Now I can record anything, burn it to a DVD, stream it to any computer in my house, set up recording remotely. Also I am able to watch HD tv and Digital cable and use S-video out to my analog TV, and it looks like DVD quality! At first I considered MS MCE, but really wasn't too hot on their free guide, that automaticaly plugs in commercial data that you have no control over. The cost of SD is nothing for the satisfactin you will get. I have been at it for about two months now, and still have some things to work out, but if I look back at when I started I can see a lot of progress. It is so worth it!
Mythtv is so far beyond MS MCE that after trying both I wouldn't even consider MS MCE a media product. With Mythtv you pretty much set it and forget about it even though you can record 2 HDTV and a Analog TV shows at the same time. With any Microsoft product you set it for one recording only and start praying that it does the recording without stalling.

Windows is worthless as a digital TV recorder no matter what you use.

After setting up Mythtv on a Ubuntu Linux box I was so taken with it that I switched all 12 PC's in my business to Linux and changed the Windows Admin part of my business to Linux Admin.

Only problem was I have less work now. Not because my clients didn't switch but because when they did they required less hands on work.

TVScheduler

Post by TVScheduler » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:10 pm

slim wrote: Windows is worthless as a digital TV recorder no matter what you use.
:? Mighty bold talk.

8-) Some might consider it highly inflammatory and completely inaccurate.

10 days would allow users to fiddle around on two weekends.

Bob