Station category ideas

rmeden
SD Board Member

Station category ideas

Post by rmeden » Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:33 pm

I'm working on cleaning up and and expanding the station categories on the lineup editor.

To work with all I have the callsign, station name, and network affiliation (which sometimes has other things).

I'm thinking about priorities...

Should all HD stations be grouped together?

Should SPORTS-HD stations be with SPORTS, HD, or in it's own category?

Should PREMIUM-HD (HBO, etc) stations be with PREMIUM, HD, or in it's own category?

Should Sports Pay stations (NFL, MLB, etc) be SPORTS, PAY, it's own?

Are all these too many categories?

I just added numeric sort ( button on the bottom, near cancel/save)

Robert

kayleigh

Re: Station category ideas

Post by kayleigh » Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:55 pm

I think it would be nice to have all the HD stations grouped together. I'm sure it would make it easier to select/deselect all the stations together.
Loyal GB-PVR User

xris
SD Board Member

Post by xris » Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:56 am

kayleigh wrote:I think it would be nice to have all the HD stations grouped together. I'm sure it would make it easier to select/deselect all the stations together.
There's no indicator of what makes a station HD or not. We could pull out everything that ends in HD or DT, but it would miss some, and probably get quite a few false positives, too. We're hoping to get some better lineup-editing tools in the future, though, as time and ideas permit.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:37 am

kayleigh wrote:I think it would be nice to have all the HD stations grouped together. I'm sure it would make it easier to select/deselect all the stations together.
I realize that, but I don't think you would want the broadcast HD and HBODD all grouped together.

xris.. that's my plan.. look find HD in the name and body, and 4+HD in the callsign. Not perfect, but folks can make corrections.

Robert

danielk
SD Board Member

Post by danielk » Mon Oct 01, 2007 7:40 am

If it is OTA all HD stations have a minor channel number of 1.

But for OTA, it would probably make the most sense to group digital stations. That is those with a minor channel number of 1 or greater, and also group the analog stations, those with no minor channel attribute or a minor channel of 0.

For Cable and Satellite there is really no standardized way of knowing which channels are HD. If the callsign ends in HD, DT or DT1 it is a good sign, but it is not definitive.