Wow, that was fast

ldkronos

Wow, that was fast

Post by ldkronos » Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:45 pm

Congrats on already reaching the $20/year mark.

Considering how fast you reached it, and that SD's aim is non-profit, what sort of plans does the group have should subscriptions continue to grow? First of all, I hope you folks plan to build up a nice nest egg so that we can keep this going for a while should something happen like TMS raises rates significantly. But after that, what sort of action is on the agenda? Lowering prices? Using the extra money to fund some open source projects?

Of course, I understand if you haven't yet had a chance to think that far ahead.

kayak4ever

Re: Wow, that was fast

Post by kayak4ever » Thu Sep 20, 2007 9:41 pm

I just want to say thank you. I appreciate your hard work and commitment to providing a reasonably prices epg source.

ayourk

Post by ayourk » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:02 pm

What would it take to pay the additional $5 for the full year?

whurlston

Post by whurlston » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:03 pm

Wonderful job guys!! You have been invaluable assets to the HTPC community and this venture has solidified your standing. Well solidified it even more.
ldkronos wrote:First of all, I hope you folks plan to build up a nice nest egg so that we can keep this going for a while should something happen like TMS raises rates significantly.
I think most subscribers would be willing to forego any future price drops for a while in order to do that. I know I would. The funding of OSS projects would be cool as well.

I think it's been stated that the goal is to start providing the feed directly so it would go to increased bandwith/capacity servers and such. I could be wrong though.

whurlston

Post by whurlston » Thu Sep 20, 2007 10:05 pm

ayourk wrote:What would it take to pay the additional $5 for the full year?
Rather than make them deal with the accounting logistics, why not just pay for a year when the 9 months is up?

(Not that I think they can't handle the accounting, I mean, look what they've done so far.)

hackmeister

Post by hackmeister » Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:41 am

whurlston wrote:Rather than make them deal with the accounting logistics, why not just pay for a year when the 9 months is up?)
That's the simplest and most logical way of doing it. Congrats on delivering the goods!
http://tllts.org - The Linux Link Tech Show

shrink

Post by shrink » Fri Sep 21, 2007 5:01 am

Congratulations! Did you guys expect it to happen THIS quickly?
Wow!
alan
Alan B.
Ocean New Jersey

danielk
SD Board Member

Post by danielk » Fri Sep 21, 2007 6:12 am

What would it take to pay the additional $5 for the full year?
The problem is that our payment processors take a big bite out of small payments, so it would be more like $6 to extend to a full year.
Congratulations! Did you guys expect it to happen THIS quickly?
No. :) We were expecting to reach this point and we were expecting a bump in membership counts after listings ran out for many people earlier this week, but we didn't expect to hit this level until next month at the earliest. The biggest surprise, to me at least, was all the people from tiny little projects I had never heard of. Even with just 30 Approved Applications, there is a long tail at work.
First of all, I hope you folks plan to build up a nice nest egg so that we can keep this going for a while should something happen like TMS raises rates significantly.
We expect the additional members joining us in the coming weeks will allow us to put away some rainy day funds and begin making improvements in our hosting situation and to make improvements to the service overall. Right now we're running on donated equipment, with donated bandwidth, with donated labor, etc. After taking care of that, we have plans, but I've been asked not to talk more about them publicly until the board has prioritized our action items.

Bobb

Post by Bobb » Fri Sep 21, 2007 9:28 am

A very simple post.
Thank You! Thank You! Thank You! Rinse repeat!

Bobb

whurlston

Post by whurlston » Fri Sep 21, 2007 12:22 pm

danielk wrote:We expect the additional members joining us in the coming weeks will allow us to put away some rainy day funds and begin making improvements in our hosting situation and to make improvements to the service overall. Right now we're running on donated equipment, with donated bandwidth, with donated labor, etc.
Keeping in mind that I have no idea how non-profits work, have you considered setting up a contributions fund?