Multiple PVRs in one home - accceptable use of data

Wrocky

Multiple PVRs in one home - accceptable use of data

Post by Wrocky » Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:59 pm

General question here, but I hadn't seen it answered already.

I am currently a GBPVR user and have multiple machines in the house running it. Primarily one with a couple of tuner cards, and an MVP, but I do have a few others that are used occasionally.

Does Schedules Direct allow me to log in multiple times with the same userid in one day to retrieve data? The primary machine would do it every day, as it did with Zap2it, but the others would only need it only occasionally; perhaps once or twice a week. Is this considered fair use and acceptable?

Wrocky

vjorrand

Re: Multiple PVRs in one home - accceptable use of data

Post by vjorrand » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:23 pm

IANAL but...

My take on it is that since the account details page lets you select multiple applications, there is no reason you could not have more than one copy of the same application too. However they must all be in your household.

I replied since I suspect that the SD board members are probably not at liberty to clarify any terms of the agreement(s)

Vincent

whurlston

Post by whurlston » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:27 pm

I suspect it's acceptable but if you are concerned, you can always download the lineups with XMLTv in UpdateEPG.bat on one machine and then just point the other machines to the shared XMLTv file.

danielk
SD Board Member

Post by danielk » Mon Sep 17, 2007 2:49 pm

As long as it is a single household you are ok with respect to the Subscriber Agreement.

Does Schedules Direct allow me to log in multiple times with the same userid in one day to retrieve data?

Yes, but this is primarily intended to allow people to set up their boxes. Multiple pulls may get delayed because the 2nd pull is serviced by the servers at a lower priority, and if very busy the service can even tell you to come back in a few hours. Also, if it looks like the pulls are coming from many IP subnets, it will trigger a fraud alert for us to investigate.

This is all new to us. We basically want to allow any reasonable household use, but not allow someone to set up a bunch of households with a single account. The service implementation details are still being worked out. If you have any problems let us know.

Wrocky

Post by Wrocky » Mon Sep 17, 2007 5:29 pm

Thanks all for the replies.

I suspect that the username/password is an issue for any subscriber based service that provides data. So it's definately not new ground.

This is definately a single household and any requests would be coming from one single IP connected to the internet. I could see an issue if there were multiple requests from the same ID and different IP addresses. It's all about having one "production quality" machine for the family to use, and one or two for me to play around on or watch when the other is in use. Everything has to be tested on my own machine(s), as if something goes wrong with the family machine, I've got a wife and 2 kids that get very upset. :lol: And beleive you me, we don't want that.

Wrocky

psm321

Post by psm321 » Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:40 pm

What about multiple physical locations w/ one person? I have a server in my parents' home that runs a custom app that only I use, and will be moving my mythtv box to my new house an hour away soon. I don't plan on moving the other server for other reasons. It would be good if I could keep using my custom app, but it's not important enough to me that I'm going to pay twice for data.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:27 pm

psm321 wrote:What about multiple physical locations w/ one person? I have a server in my parents' home
Sounds like two households to me.

Robert

psm321

Post by psm321 » Sat Sep 22, 2007 7:53 am

rmeden wrote:Sounds like two households to me.

Robert
So somebody with 5 people living in a house can have each of them have their own pvr pulling data, and yet I can't have 2 different apps that only I use in 2 different physical locations (only ~60 miles apart btw, but that's irrelevant)? I gotta say that's quite disappointing and disillusioning news, coming right when I had finally started to get over my other moral qualms with SD. :cry:

It's especially bad for college students who have limited $$$ anyways and may be moving back and forth and not wanting to lug all their computers each time.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:23 am

psm321 wrote:So somebody with 5 people living in a house can have each of them have their own pvr pulling data, and yet I can't have 2 different apps that only I use in 2 different physical locations (only ~60 miles apart btw, but that's irrelevant)? I gotta say that's quite disappointing and disillusioning news, coming right when I had finally started to get over my other moral qualms with SD. :cry:
Basically yes. Sorry we can't please everyone all the time. At least the price is less than a tank of gas. (even on my Civic)

Robert

slim

Post by slim » Mon Sep 24, 2007 9:37 am

psm321 wrote:
rmeden wrote:Sounds like two households to me.

Robert
So somebody with 5 people living in a house can have each of them have their own pvr pulling data, and yet I can't have 2 different apps that only I use in 2 different physical locations (only ~60 miles apart btw, but that's irrelevant)? I gotta say that's quite disappointing and disillusioning news, coming right when I had finally started to get over my other moral qualms with SD. :cry:

It's especially bad for college students who have limited $$$ anyways and may be moving back and forth and not wanting to lug all their computers each time.
If you can't afford an extra $20 then you could always do manual recording. 2 locations is 2 locations. College students also pay more than $20 a month on beer.

I'm tired of people complaining about such a reasonable price. Your moral qualms statement is really out of line. SD is not Open Source it is a non profit.

If you wanted to contribute to the Cancer Society to get say a shirt, would you complain about how much you had to contribute to get the shirt. Then keep in mind that their people get a salary and the SD people don't.

You really need to get a reality check and quit acting like a spoiled brat. Sure college is full of them but do you want your beer or do you want to watch TV using SD listings.

Make your choice and live with it.

Sames goes to the other people who will only be happy when SD listings are free. If free was possible TMS would still offer them.

Grow up. $20 is very reasonable.