HD Flag + MythTV question

HD Flag + MythTV question

Postby cshilton » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:25 am

My cable provider just did a channel re-organization. On the cable box they've folded their High Def programming onto channel numbers that were formerly Standard Def. I use Schedules Direct with MythTV and in my setup this creates several questions.

My Setup:

App: MythTV 0.27.5
Capture Device: Hauppauge HD-PVR connected to Cable box via Component video.
Cable Provider: Optimum iO / Cablevision.

My issue: Before this re-org WCBS appeared two ways in my feed, as WCBS channel 2 with xmltvid (xxxxx) and as channel WCBSHD channel 702, xmltvid (yyyyy). The programming on each feed is exactly the same except for the HDtv flag which is always clear on xmltvid (xxxxx) and is set for High Def programming on xmltvid (yyyyy). Since the re-org, the program data for Channel 2 via my cable box should be xmltvid (yyyyy).

My concern is that mythtv may be using different recording setting for StdDef vs HiDef recordings. I don't know if that's the case and would welcome a little education if someone knows better than I do.

I can manipulate the channel database to connect the correct xmltvid to channel 2 but mythfilldatabase's defaults seem to want to change the information back. I wonder if there should be another guide feed for CableVision Optimum iO that reflects channel 2 as HD. It's important to note that the current Schedules Direct guide information is correct for CableCard users so it should be clear that changing the current guide isn't the right thing to do. I should also note that my issue affects anyone using mythtv + HD-PVR + cablebox on Optimum iO. From my investigations that seems to be a small number of people though.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

-- Chris
cshilton

Re: HD Flag + MythTV question

Postby rmeden » Sat Aug 29, 2015 10:42 am

I suggest you edit the SD channel lineup from the web page and remove the SD versions of the station.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby cshilton » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:41 am

rmeden wrote:I suggest you edit the SD channel lineup from the web page and remove the SD versions of the station.

I don't think that will work. For WNBC Schedules Direct sends 2 entries: "4 WNBC" and "704 WNBCDT". Both of those channels are tunable from the cable card. The cable box only tunes into channel 4. The content on the cable box on channel for is the HIgh Def content: WNBCDT. If I turn off channel 4 I can't receive WNBC at all. If I turn off channel 704 mythtv thinks my content is delivered in Standard Def. That's acceptable if mythtv records the same for both standard and high def. If mythtv uses different setting to record Standard and High def programming then it will make the wrong choice when it records anything on WNBC.

My lineup is CT58914:X. Channel 4 is currently id: 11705. Channel 704 is: 20459. Is there a way in schedules direct for me to say that channel 4 is id 20459?

-- Chris
cshilton

Postby rmeden » Sat Aug 29, 2015 3:16 pm

How do you know 704 is still tunable via a cablecard? You just mention you have a cablebox.

I find it strange that 704 exists on cablecard but is not tunable on the cablebox.

If it is true that 704 exists but can't be turned on your cablebox, that's a local cablebox problem, not a SD data problem.

The only way I can think of fixing that is via manual mapping in MythTV or a filter to customize the data locally after download. Your cablebox control script could also be modified to tune 4 instead of 704.

BTW, what's the harm in recording channel 4 and the HDflag is just wrong? Won't MythTV just record whatever is on the channel regardless of the HDflag?
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby cshilton » Sun Aug 30, 2015 7:07 am

I have a MythTV and a pair of TiVos. The TiVos use Cablecards.

I'm not sure if there is any harm in recording the programs without the HDflag. I'm asking that question on the MythTV forums.

-- Chris
cshilton

Return to General Discussions