Help! Use SchedDir as source for WMC?

Help! Use SchedDir as source for WMC?

Postby Mugsy323 » Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:17 am

For some unknown reason, I am no longer able to update the EPG built into "Windows Media Center" (Win7). I still prefer the "Live TV" app built into WMC as the best viewer software around.

Is it possible to mod WMC to obtain its Guide listings from SD? Thx.
Mugsy323

Re: Help! Use SchedDir as source for WMC?

Postby rmeden » Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:38 am

Unfortunately not at the present time. Our license for the data requires it be used only on non-commercial products. Windows Media Center is still a commercial product (it goes away in Win 10, but that's not even here yet).

Sometimes Gracenote grants exceptions... I'll ask.. doesn't hurt.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby Mugsy323 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:01 am

I sure hope so.

After extensive searching online, WMC's EPG support appears to be officially dead. (Some dispute about them moving to "Rovi" used on the XBOX, but so far, no update has been released.)

I'm a Beta Tester for Win10 and it appears the final Beta was released last week, so I expect an August release (the 20th Anniversary of Win95.) I've already seen a Win10 ad on TV, so it is coming soon.
Mugsy323

Postby rmeden » Sun Jul 26, 2015 2:36 pm

I assume there's an program that loads WMC from an XMLTV file? Do you you have a link? That's probably the program that would get "approved", not WMC directly.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby Mugsy323 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:56 pm

rmeden wrote:I assume there's an program that loads WMC from an XMLTV file? Do you you have a link? That's probably the program that would get "approved", not WMC directly.

In the C:\Windows\eHome folder is a file named "mcupdate.exe". This is the app that updates the EPG, but it's part of WMC. Running manually as Admin does not retrieve the data.
Mugsy323

Postby rmeden » Sun Jul 26, 2015 5:24 pm

Mugsy323 wrote:
rmeden wrote:I assume there's an program that loads WMC from an XMLTV file? Do you you have a link? That's probably the program that would get "approved", not WMC directly.

In the C:\Windows\eHome folder is a file named "mcupdate.exe". This is the app that updates the EPG, but it's part of WMC. Running manually as Admin does not retrieve the data.

Yes.. but is there a 3rd party program that reads XMLTV formatted data and loads it into Windows Media Center? That's the application that we may be able to allow.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby Mugsy323 » Sun Jul 26, 2015 6:47 pm

rmeden wrote:
Mugsy323 wrote:

Yes.. but is there a 3rd party program that reads XMLTV formatted data and loads it into Windows Media Center? That's the application that we may be able to allow.

There is an abandoned SourceForge project from 2013 called "xmltv2mxf" that supposedly can convert EPG data from another source (such as "SchedulesDirect") and convert it into a format that WMC can read, but people are reporting limited success with the app and I haven't bothered to take the time seeing if I can get it to work just yet. Seems like it would be a real headache to update manually each week.

Apparently, the problem with the WMC Guide is widespread (not just me) and is drawing a tremendous amount of traffic at MS's official WMC site.
Mugsy323

Postby rmeden » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:37 am

I got my response from Gracenote, and there was no objection to a 3rd party plugin to load data into Media Center!

So, basically a plugin needs to be created, and it can then be added to the list of approved apps. :D

I think I have an account at The Green Button, but that forum has a very low SNR... it's best for the dev of such a project to contact Admin@SD.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Return to General Discussions