What program will output xmltv data same format as Zap2xml?

What program will output xmltv data same format as Zap2xml?

Postby CountryBumkin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 11:03 am

Hi, I'm a new user.

I've been using the free Zap2xml program for a while, but apparently as of July 9 that program is no longer able to scrape data from Zap2it, so I've been looking to find a new method/program. SchedulesDirect looks like a great source for getting this data.

Currently I use Windows Task Scheduler to run the Zap2xml.exe program (from here http://zap2xml.awardspace.info/) which scrapes the Zap2it site and then exports the TV schedules for my zipcode into a xml file. Then I import from that "xmltv.xml" file.

Can someone help me determine which one of the "approved apps" will collect the data and create an xmltv file in the same way/format as what Zap2xml did (or as close to the same format)? I don't need a stand-alone scheduler program as I will only be accessing the scheduling data from within my media center software (JRiver MC20).

Thanks
CountryBumkin

Re: What program will output xmltv data same format as Zap2x

Postby rkulagow » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:22 pm

Our data cannot be used with applications that aren't Open Source; I believe that you need to purchase licenses for JRiver, correct?
rkulagow
SD Staff

Postby CountryBumkin » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:34 pm

Why should it matter what media software I use at the "end step".

I only want/need an App to download TV schedules to an XML file. What I do with the xml file should not matter (IMHO) - it just so happens that JRiver has the ability to import xml data. I could be using the data in Excel.

But please note, that my subscription to SchedulesDirect and use of the data is strictly for personal use.

With that said, can I use schedulesdirect or not?
CountryBumkin

Postby rmeden » Mon Jul 13, 2015 1:45 pm

It matters because the copyright holder says it matters. Schedule Direct's license for use of the data (and hence the SD terms of service) restrict the data use to non-commercial, basically hobbyist use.

Gracenote's core business is selling guide data to commercial users. They are nice enough to allow us to learn, innovate and play, but they don't want to threaten their core business, hence the license restriction.

BTW... Scraping the Zap2IT website is also wrong.... the terms of use of that site specifically prohibit it.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Return to General Discussions