Is it really this difficult?

TheNaughtyMonkey

Is it really this difficult?

Post by TheNaughtyMonkey » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:24 pm

I'm running MediaPortal. In order to use this service, do I really need to:

1. Pay $25
2. Download uncompiled software
3. Download Visual Studio Desktop (about 3GB)
4. Install VS Desktop
5. Reboot
6. Continue to install VS (seriously?)
7. Create an account with Microsoft (which I refused to do)
8. Gave up at this point.

Why do I have to go through all this just so I can compile a plugin for Windows? How hard is it to just have a pre-compiled plug-in for Win7 x64? Its not like its an obscure OS.

Some of us aren't developers, and don't have/want to install more software to compile code.

You already have my money, fool that I am. But, I'm not going to create an account with Microsoft, just so I can register some software I don't want to get a 30 day free trial to compile a plug-in. What if I want to update this in the future? Do I then have to purchase Visual Studio?

Honestly, could you make this any more difficult to use?

Slugger

Re: Is it really this difficult?

Post by Slugger » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:39 pm

I think you're confusing Schedules Direct & the MediaPortal project. SD doesn't write MP nor have anything to do with that software. I'd head over to the MP site and ask their developers why they don't provide x64 binaries. SD does not require MP, there are other choices, many of which, by what you describe, are easier to setup. SD also offers a free 7 day trial, there was no need for you to purchase an SD membership before getting your PVR of choice operational.

TheNaughtyMonkey

Post by TheNaughtyMonkey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:14 am

OK, maybe I'm just confused.

I went to download the MediaPortal Plugin for SD from this site:

http://code.google.com/p/mp-schedulesdirect/

The only download was uncompiled. Is that code from MP or SD?

Yes, I was silly not to avail myself of the free trial. Frustration makes me crabby. My apologies.

So, it looks like you are saying that MP is the project that would have ownership of the SD plug-in. I need to achieve some serenity, and pose the question there.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sun Apr 14, 2013 1:56 pm

That's the sourcecode for the plugin... they probably offer binaries as well. Try posting on the mediaportal project pages, or try another approved app.

It's a good idea to have your app mostly working before you try and add guide data... 7 days to get the guide working should be easy to make.

The only other thing is if you can't get things working in 7 days, feel free to drop admin an email to extend the trial.

Robert

TheNaughtyMonkey

Post by TheNaughtyMonkey » Sun Apr 14, 2013 4:04 pm

Robert,

I appreciate the reasoned response, especially in light of my frustrated rudeness.

I have actually looked around, and there do not seem to be any complied binaries of this plug-in. However, I have found such for earlier releases, so that is probably what I will have to use.

I try to use as much Open Source software as I can, and support the creators, but its things like this that preclude me from recommending these solutions to friends and family.

Simon

davidpmays

Post by davidpmays » Fri May 24, 2013 12:05 pm

Simon
MediaPortal provides a function called "MediaPortal Extension Installer. Look for it on your desktop or in start/Team MediaPortal/MediaPortal. In the extension installer you will find the SchedulesDirect Plugin that will auto install. You do not need to compile anything. I have been using it for years and I love it.
Hope this helps
David