Question regarding DirecTV NHL Center Ice and team feeds

rkulagow
SD Staff

Question regarding DirecTV NHL Center Ice and team feeds

Post by rkulagow » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:20 am

On the DirecTV web page, I can see that some channels / events are labeled "Rangers Feed" or whatever, and some don't have that designation. And sometimes the same game will be on two consecutive channels, with each specifying a feed, and other games will have one specific feed and one not labeled.

So, if you have NHL CI, does the non-labeled feed imply that it's actually the opposing team's feed and it just wasn't included in the description? Or is it a generic broadcast where the color commentary doesn't necessarily focus on one particular team?

Thanks.

mediabrat

Re: Question regarding DirecTV NHL Center Ice and team feeds

Post by mediabrat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 4:55 pm

I don't have DirecTV, but I am a hockey fan, so hopefully I can be of assistance. :D

Most of the time, DirecTV will have the same game on two channels; one of these is the home feed, the other is the away feed, and both are labeled as such. Exceptions to this are:
- The game has been picked up by NHL Network. I don't think they usually say where they get their feed from; sometimes it's a local broadcast, sometimes they send their own announcers. At any rate, it looks like they don't make the separate local feeds available on the CI channels (769-784), only what's on NHL Network (215).
- The game involves two Canadian teams and is on national TV in Canada (CBC's Hockey Night In Canada or TSN).
- If both feeds are present but only one is labeled, the non-labeled one is the home team (usually; sometimes, as you noted, it's the away team instead) or it's a national Canadian feed.
- Rarely there's only one feed because one of the markets involved isn't broadcasting the game at all. Doesn't happen very often, and I'm not sure there are any examples this season, but you do see it occasionally. And once in a blue moon there won't be an available English feed for the Montreal Canadiens, only French.

mediabrat

Post by mediabrat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:25 pm

Examples from today's schedule, oddities in bold:
  • Pittsburgh @ NJ, 1:00, 215 (NHL Network)
  • Tampa Bay @ Boston, 1:00, 770 (Lightning feed) and 771 (Bruins feed) (game was postponed due to the blizzard)
  • Carolina @ Philly, 1:00, 772 (only one feed, probably Carolina's; see notes)
  • Winnipeg @ Ottawa, 2:00, 769 (CBC regional coverage for Hockey Day In Canada)
  • Edmonton @ Detroit, 2:00, 773 (CBC regional coverage for Hockey Day In Canada)
  • Phoenix @ San Jose, 4:00, 215 (NHL Network)
  • Buffalo @ NY Islanders, 7:00, 774 (Sabres feed) and 775 (Isles feed, unlabeled)
  • Florida @ Washington, 7:00, 776 (Panthers) and 777 (Caps)
  • Anaheim @ St. Louis, 8:00, 778 (Ducks) and 779 (Blues)
  • Nashville @ Minnesota, 8:00, 780 (Predators) and 781 (Wild)
  • Calgary @ Vancouver, 10:00, 769 (NHL Network via CBC)
Notes:
  • Going through the schedule posted on DirecTV's site, it looks like the Flyers don't make their feed available to Center Ice subscribers. Not sure if that applies only to the satellite version or if cable subscribers are affected too.
  • It looks like you can't get the local American feed in the case of a game between a Canadian team and an American one that is televised nationally in Canada, as seen with today's Oilers-Red Wings game.
  • I noticed that tonight's Toronto-Montreal matchup was not listed at all, even though it's on NHL Network via CBC.

mediabrat

Post by mediabrat » Sat Feb 09, 2013 5:28 pm

Oh, wait, I'm wrong, Flames/Canucks isn't on NHL Network, just on CBC. I'd edit my post, but it hasn't been approved yet. ;)