iPad App?

iPad App?

Postby Beryl » Sat Dec 25, 2010 7:30 pm

I've been using PTVB, PTVL and other apps which use this data for many years on my Palm, Pocket PC, and laptops. I now use an iPad most of the time but I don't see an app for it.

I do use Zap2it and Xfinity but I prefer to have an app that is as full-function as PTVB (favorites and searches that work) without ads. Also, I'd like to continue to subscribe to this service.
Beryl

Re: iPad App?

Postby rmeden » Sun Dec 26, 2010 11:46 pm

unfortunately, there are no approved apps for the ipad (or android for that matter).

Those that have approached us wanted to have ads or charge for the app (both which violate the non-commercial restriction)

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby Beryl » Mon Jan 03, 2011 9:38 am

You'd think that the zap2it iPad app would be provided to those who have subscriptions here for no additional fee. I've been using (now paying for) the source for almost 10 years. I won't pay zap2it more for their app. Their free offering is in ridiculous. Not only do they have an ad banner, they have a big 5 second pop-up ad every 3-5 minutes. Just plain greed.

Guess I'm stuck with xFinity, slingmedia and Vulkano EPS.
Beryl

Postby Piermatteo » Fri Apr 29, 2011 1:07 am

Beryl wrote:You'd think that the zap2it iPad app would be provided to those who have subscriptions here for no additional fee. I've been using (now paying for) the source for almost 10 years. I won't pay zap2it more for their app. Their free offering is in ridiculous. Not only do they have an ad banner, they have a big 5 second pop-up ad every 3-5 minutes. Just plain greed.

Guess I'm stuck with xFinity, slingmedia and Vulkano EPS.

I do use Zap2it and Xfinity but I prefer to have an app that is as full-function as PTVB (favorites and searches that work) without ads. Also, I'd like to continue to subscribe to this service.
Piermatteo

Postby cocochen » Wed May 11, 2011 1:51 am

Beryl wrote:I've been using PTVB, PTVL and other apps which use this data for many years on my Palm, Pocket PC, and laptops. I now use an iPad most of the time but I don't see an app for it.

You'd think that the zap2it iPad app would be provided to those who have subscriptions here for no additional fee. I've been using (now paying for) the source for almost 10 years. I won't pay zap2it more for their app. Their free offering is in ridiculous. Not only do they have an ad banner, they have a big 5 second pop-up ad every 3-5 minutes. Just plain greed.
cocochen

Postby alwayslate » Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:50 am

Stupid question, but why are we waiting for somebody to approach us when we can go out and approach a good developer. Do you guys have any kind of fundraising methods you like to use. I have had a variety of IT jobs jobs in the past, and often times funding depends more on brainstorming and connections than anything else. I am sure we could the app created if we really came together as a community.
Last edited by alwayslate on Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
alwayslate

Postby rmeden » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:30 am

Why would we approach a developer to develop and iPad app.

We're not a commercial entity that tries to drum up new business. We're a non-profit that supports Open Source applications.

Let's say we did pay a developer to create an IOS app.. there's no community to support it!

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby Valdhor » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:55 am

I think that I do not understand the license so if someone could please clarify.

Why can't someone develop an iPad app that they charge for with the proviso that the user must subscribe to SD to actually get the lineup?

Would it be possible to make the app free with donation support?
Valdhor

Postby rmeden » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:24 pm

Because our contract with Tribune only allows the data to be used with use with F/OSS applications.

Tribune has other programs to provide data to commercial projects and doesn't want us competing with them.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Return to General Discussions