Digital Cable without a cable box

Use this forum to report problems with lineups
Dan Winkler

Digital Cable without a cable box

Post by Dan Winkler » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:40 pm

I'm in zip code 02054 and I have a QAM tuner (HDHomeRun) connected directly to Comcast Cable, with no cable box. Comcast provides all the over-the-air channels in QAM plus a couple of extra channels like MSNBC. My QAM tuner can receive all of these. My problem is which lineup to use? The best I've been able to do is use the over-the-air lineup for my area. This allows MythTV to get listings for all the over the air channels that Comcast has on the cable, but not the extra ones like MSNBC. When I tried using the lineup for Comcast digital cable instead, I found I could get listings for everything by poking the correct XMLID in the channel editor, but it then messed up the frequency of the channel (because it's different on a Comcast Cable box than it is on the raw cable without a box) and I couldn't tune to it anymore. Maybe we need a whole new lineup just for people using Comcast cable without a box?

lostboy1

Re: Digital Cable without a cable box

Post by lostboy1 » Sat Feb 16, 2008 9:03 pm

Just out of curiosity, how did you enter the XMLIDs? I have a similar setup (HDHomeRun on MythTV) on Charter cable and I was able to enter the XMLIDs without a problem using the digital lineup for my area with the channel editor on the front end. I have also successfully used the mythtv-setup program to enter the XMLIDs (with the backend shut down). I even went as far as to change the channels numbers to fall in line with the analog counterparts (ABC = channel 7, ABC-DT was 784 and I changed it to 7.1). I have run in to problems using the channel editor on MythWeb where after updating some information on a channel, the channel no longer functions correctly. I then had to go into mythtv-setup and rescan the channel to fix it.

Brett