Inaccurate Listings: Rede Globo TV Internacional (xml 21065)

Use this forum to report problems with lineups

Inaccurate Listings: Rede Globo TV Internacional (xml 21065)

Postby mattlach » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:53 am

Hey All,
Paying member here having some issues with listings.

Schedules direct is working beautifully for my FiOS lineups here in Massachusetts, EXCEPT for one channel.

My fiance is Brazilian, so we added the Rede Globo TV Internacional channel to our TV package (xmltvid 21065) at the ridiculous price of $20/month for one SD channel :p

The listings data is accurate content-wise, but start and stop times are terribly inaccurate, usually varying +/- 10 minutes, but sometimes as much as +/- 30 minutes making DVR recordings pretty much a joke. Whenever I schedule anything for recording on this channel I have to manually override and tell it to start 30min early and end 30min late, and then do a lot of fast forwarding when watching it.

I'm figuring this is probably more of a channel issue than a Schedules Direct issue (the Brazilians are culturally notoriously bad at adhering to schedules), but I figured I'd report it none the less, and see what you guys say.

If there IS a fix for this it would be a beautiful thing, as right now my MythTV setup (an IT work of art with a networked six channel tuner, dedicated virtualized backend, and a couple of frontends running in both Linux and Windows) is making me look badly, as it isn't working as expected :p

Thanks,
Matt
mattlach

Re: Inaccurate Listings: Rede Globo TV Internacional (xml 21

Postby rmeden » Fri Jul 11, 2014 10:16 pm

Can you tell which times are wrong? I image shows are supposed to start on 30 minute intervals.. so if a noon show is 20 minutes late, does the guide data show noon or 12:20? Does the station have a web page? What does it show? Is it accurate?

I agree this is probably a cultural thing, so there's probably nothing anyone can do except the station... but if the error does appear to be data related, we can try and help.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby GLCamp » Wed Aug 20, 2014 11:10 am

I have been a subscriber to Rede Globo for 6 or 7 years now.
The issue is not a Schedules Direct issue.
It is a Rede Globo issue.
Even the scheduled times listed on the Rede Globo website (http://tvglobointernacional.globo.com/grade.aspx) are often off by as much as 30 minutes.

I have the same issue with some of the other international channels that I subscribe to.
I take the listed "scheduled time" as a hint as to when the program will actually start <G>.

The fix is to add 45 minutes to each end of of any recordings to ensure getting the whole show.
Good luck.
GLCamp

Postby mattlach » Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:50 pm

GLCamp wrote:I have been a subscriber to Rede Globo for 6 or 7 years now.
The issue is not a Schedules Direct issue.
It is a Rede Globo issue.
Even the scheduled times listed on the Rede Globo website (http://tvglobointernacional.globo.com/grade.aspx) are often off by as much as 30 minutes.

I have the same issue with some of the other international channels that I subscribe to.
I take the listed "scheduled time" as a hint as to when the program will actually start <G>.

The fix is to add 45 minutes to each end of of any recordings to ensure getting the whole show.
Good luck.

Thank you.

Been doing this for a few months now, but in the last couple of months or so, even this hasn't helped.

The listings are so wildly inaccurate that even adding lots of start early and end late time, you never know what you are going to get when recording, which is too bad.

That, and Verizon's re-stream of the channel has been getting worse and worse from a quality perspective.

Been debating just canceling it (after all it costs $20 per month for a single SD channel (!!!)) and trying to set up something IPTV or streaming based directly from Brazil instead. I won't have the PVR service, but at least the quality will be higher.

My research on this matter has been slow though, as I am the tech guy in the household, and she is the Portuguese speaker, and we need both of these skills to read what others are doing for their Brazilian TV fix :p

Usually I do all my tech geeking and configuring while she is busy with something else.
mattlach

Postby rkulagow » Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:18 am

It's been a few months; if Rede Globo has at least gotten to the point that their website matches what they're broadcasting (meaning the people that press "Play" on the VTR and the people that generate the listings are in sync), then we can address that. If the issue is that our data matches the website, but the program starts late (and with a variable amount of time between programs), then that's something that the station is still doing wrong.
rkulagow
SD Staff

Postby rmeden » Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:03 pm

Has a Spanish speaker tried contacting the station and explain to them why expats really need accurate listings? While they may understand a lot of their (paying!) audience is in the U.S., they may not understand how we typically consume TV. (time-shifted)
rmeden
SD Board Member

Return to Lineup Issues