DirecTv, Showtime Shameless OAD

Use this forum to report problems with lineups

DirecTv, Showtime Shameless OAD

Postby SDBevo » Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:57 pm

I download the DirecTv XMLTv Raw data and have noticed the Original Air Date for the Showtime series Shameless is not the same as the first regular showing for new episodes. New episodes are scheduled for Sunday's at 8:00 PM (CDT). In the Raw XML for this weeks listing (3/11/2012, "Hurricane Monica"), the 8:00 PM listing does show "new=true" but the OAD is shown as 3/09/2012. Next weeks 3/18/2012 ("A Great Cause") episoide again shows "new=true", but shows the OAD as 3/14/2012. In both cases, there was/is not a new episode on those OAD's. Is this an error or represents some kind of change in the data meaning?

Thanks
Gary
SDBevo

Re: DirecTv, Showtime Shameless OAD

Postby rmeden » Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:21 pm

Are you saying this is an episode from another season? Or is it just off by a few days?
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby SDBevo » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:59 pm

It is a NEW episode that is (just?) off by a few days. That is, the OAD date is earlier than the first NEW showing (date). Next weeks program (3/25/2012), "Just Like the Pilgrims", is the same way. The OAD shows to be 3/21/2012, but there are no NEW schedules for Shameless on 3/21, and the first time "Just Like the Pilgrims" shows in the schedules is on it's regularly scheduled time/date 3/25/2012, 8:00 PM (CDT). Not only is this the only Showtime program I have ever seen this way, it is the only program (period) I have ever seen like this. I would like to know if this represents some kind of new scheduling practice, that belies any reasoning I can imagine, or is it a scheduling error? In which case, I prefer to not program around this problem for this one show. It would be nice if they would fix the problem.

Thanks
Gary

Shameless, Showtime, 3/25/2012, 8:00 PM (CDT).
EP01347868 Series ID
EP013478680023 Program ID
OAD 3/21/2012
Last edited by SDBevo on Wed Mar 21, 2012 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SDBevo

Postby rmeden » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:00 am

I'll look into it. It's possible that the producer released it for air on the OAD and that's why it's different from first scheduled date. It's also possible another station (maybe even in another country) aired it first.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby SDBevo » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:24 am

Thanks Robert, come to think of it, it is also possible that it is being shown on a DirecTv channel that I am not downloading in my XMLTv download. Perhaps PPV(?).
SDBevo

Postby rmeden » Tue Mar 20, 2012 2:09 pm

Got an answer..

This airs in Canada on 3/21, which is why it has an OAD of 3/21.

There ya go.. How's that for accurate data!

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby SDBevo » Tue Mar 20, 2012 3:26 pm

Yes, its good that the data is indeed accurate, I mean if it "really" is? Its clear, that after all these years, I do not understand the data as well as I thought I did. :oops: This is the first time I have seen this occur, for whatever reason.

If you know, is this Canada channel in the Directv (DITV623, stationID 21868) lineup, or does the OAD extend across different providers? In any case, this becomes more confusing, since the NEW field for the 3/25/2012 8:00 PM (CDT) showing is set to "true". In looking at the schema (v1.3.7) for xtvd/schedules/schedule/@new is says "Designates that a program is new, not previously aired." Further, the xtvd/programs/program/originalAirDate says "Original air date for the program". Can you explain to me how the 3/25/2012 showing has not previously aired, when the Original Air date (in Canada) was 3/21/2012? Before I go back to the coding pad, I really need to better understand these two fields.

Thanks
Gary
SDBevo

Postby rmeden » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:43 pm

You're right, it does seem to be a contradiction. Think about how you would like it to work... I think this is a nice compromise.. OAD is correct and the "new" flag also lets you know you should record it.

I would say that the "new" flag describes new for this station, but that would include lots of cases of syndication where we do not want the "new" flag.

I think you're being a bit too picky on OAD/New.

An app should use episode ids to avoid duplicates, not depend on OAD.
Personally, I consider anything within a week or two "new" and don't rely on the "new" flag.

These two strategies allow conflict resolution and "record only new" to work well.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby SDBevo » Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:26 am

>I think you're being a bit too picky on OAD/New>

I apoligize for being too picky. I will give it a rest, and go back to the old "trial and error" method of debugging. As mentioned, I felt like I was only trying to better understand the data.

I do appreciate your time and all the contributions you have made to the Schedules Direct and XMLTv programs.
Gary
SDBevo

Return to Lineup Issues