The startTime you specified appears to be null and ...

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
GLCamp

The startTime you specified appears to be null and ...

Post by GLCamp » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:09 pm

Starting yesterday I have started getting these messages in the xml file when I try to specify date range for retrieving the data.

<messages xsi:type='ns1:messages'>
<message>The startTime you specified appears to be null and has been corrected to a default value.</message>
<message>The endTime you specified appears to be null and has been corrected to a default value.</message>
<message>The startTime you specified was invalid and has been corrected to 2010-07-13T00:00:00Z.</message>
<message>The endTime you specified was invalid and has been corrected to 2010-07-14T23:59:59Z.</message>
<message>Your subscription will expire: 2011-06-19T22:37:55Z</message>
</messages>

I am using a personally written Perl script to download the data. I have not made any changes to the script in months.

The "Your subscription will expire..." message is normal and expected.
The invalid times messages are new and problematic.

Anybody else seeing anything similar? Or have any suggestions as to where to start?

TIA,
Greg

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: The startTime you specified appears to be null and ...

Post by rmeden » Wed Jul 14, 2010 9:31 pm

Can you include the output of your download method? If necessary, use WireShark to capture it on the network.

GLCamp

Re: Can you include the output of your download method?

Post by GLCamp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:56 am

I can try, but..

I have no clue how to grab the data being sent over the SOAP connection.

I installed WireShark but don't know how to get an output format that is human readable.

I am technically knowledgeable but I am not a bits and bytes network systems analyst.

As a test I ran the script on a machine that is outside of the firewall. Same results.
That pretty much eliminates local machine configuration issues and firewall/router issues. (I think)

After my original post I saw the thread about Mythfilldatabase and bad dates.

In that thread it says ->

>> I saw this a while back with the XMLTV tv_grab_na_dd grabber. It's a bug in the way Tribune servers join together TCP packets.
>> I added a --padd option to get around this issue with XMLTV, but that doesn't help you with a native MythTV grab.

Where can I get a copy of the tv_grab_na_dd grabber source? I would like to see how the --padd option is implemented
and see if that fix works for me.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

TIA,
Greg

dave256

Post by dave256 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 10:18 am

I too am seeing this now. I'm using an old Perl script (I think from the days when zap2it allowed free downloads) with my own Mac Cocoa GUI front end for displaying results.

I've put the script here:
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/616225/download.pl

It's run using:

./download.pl <username> <password> 2010-07-15T00:00:00Z 2010-07-20T00:00:00Z

where username and password are the info for my schedules direct account. It now gives the error:

2010-07-15T00:00:00Z
2010-07-20T00:00:00Z
username: <redacted>
password: <redacted>
start date-time: 2010-07-15T00:00:00Z
end date-time: 2010-07-20T00:00:00Z

The startTime you specified appears to be null and has been corrected to a default value.

The endTime you specified appears to be null and has been corrected to a default value.

The startTime you specified was invalid and has been corrected to 2010-07-14T00:00:00Z.

The endTime you specified was invalid and has been corrected to 2010-07-15T23:59:59Z.

Up until a few days ago, this was working fine. Anyone know how to fix it?

Thanks,
Dave

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Thu Jul 15, 2010 11:55 am

dave256 wrote:I too am seeing this now. I'm using an old Perl script (I think from the days when zap2it allowed free downloads) with my own Mac Cocoa GUI front end for displaying results.
That script seems overly complicated. Instead of troubleshooting it, have you tried the "official" sample code at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568 (tms_fetch.pl)

GLCAMP: tv_grab_na_dd is part of the XMLTV sf project. http://files.xmltv.org.
You can look at just the _na_dd code in CVS http://xmltv.cvs.sourceforge.net/viewvc ... iew=markup

The relevent code section:

Code: Select all

$dd_start=(' 'x$opt_padd).$dd_start if $opt_padd;
All it does is add spaces in front of the start time. :) This was diagnosed with Wireshark (then Etherreal) and noticing the field spanned packets.

Robert

GLCamp

Re: have you tried the "official" sample code

Post by GLCamp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:27 pm

The tmsfetch.pl script seems to be working as expected.

I successfully pulled down the data for today ->
my $START='2010-07-15T00:00:00Z';
my $STOP ='2010-07-15T23:59:59Z';

And for tomorrow ->
my $START='2010-07-16T00:00:00Z';
my $STOP ='2010-07-16T23:59:59Z';

I will compare the relevant sections between the working sample code and my code and see if I can figure out what the difference is.

Robert, thanks for all of your help so far. It is really appreciated.

I will post any discoveries I make as soon as I can.

Again, thanks!

dave256

Post by dave256 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 12:33 pm

rmeden wrote:
dave256 wrote:I too am seeing this now. I'm using an old Perl script (I think from the days when zap2it allowed free downloads) with my own Mac Cocoa GUI front end for displaying results.
That script seems overly complicated. Instead of troubleshooting it, have you tried the "official" sample code at viewtopic.php?f=8&t=568 (tms_fetch.pl)

Robert
Thanks for the pointer to those sample scripts. I didn't write the download.pl script, but I had been using that code since the zap2it days. I think all I needed to do when schedulesdirect took over is point it at a different server and it had continued to work fine. It appears something changed recently on your end regarding the date handling, but I tweaked the tmsfetch.py script (I prefer Python to Perl) and I've got my program working fine with it now. Thanks for your quick response.

Dave

GLCamp

The Issue Appears To Be XML Tags

Post by GLCamp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:12 pm

I got my script to work.

This was the primary difference between the sample Perl script and my script:

Code From Sample Script - my $raw_data=$soap->download($START,$STOP);
Code From My Script - $xtvddoc = $soapconn->download("<startTime>$starttime</startTime><endTime>$endtime</endTime>");

Those tags have been there since the old days of Zap2It Labs in 2004!!

Why it stopped working is anyone's guess. Maybe a better question is "When did the spec change?"

Again, Thanks for the quick and quite knowledgeable assistance.

I hope this will help someone else.

Greg

GLCamp

Original Source Of XML Tags

Post by GLCamp » Thu Jul 15, 2010 1:32 pm

After digging around I found a copy of XMLTV version 0.5.31. It seems to be from 2004.

XMLTV was my inspiration for the script I wrote.

Code from XMLTV version 0.5.31
my $got = $soap->download("<startTime>$dd_start</startTime><endTime>$dd_stop</endTime>");

Here is the same code from the current version of XMLTV:
my $raw_data=$soap->download($dd_start,$dd_stop);

Did the spec change? Was the original XMLTV code incorrect?

TIA,
Greg

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Original Source Of XML Tags

Post by rmeden » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:32 pm

GLCamp wrote:Code from XMLTV version 0.5.31
my $got = $soap->download("<startTime>$dd_start</startTime><endTime>$dd_stop</endTime>");

Here is the same code from the current version of XMLTV:
my $raw_data=$soap->download($dd_start,$dd_stop);

Did the spec change? Was the original XMLTV code incorrect?
Well, I wrote both and honestly don't remember. I think the second format is more "standard soap". The SOAP library should convert it to tags based on the WSDL at the service URL.

At least that's how I think it works. :)

If they changed the method and the WSDL that would explain it. I'll check the WSDL later

Robert