how's it going?

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
fatherted

Re: how's it going?

Post by fatherted » Thu Aug 23, 2007 6:06 pm

so far, so good!

i just put up axel's newest fc6 and f7 myth packages from bleeding -- these are the 0.21-167_trunk_r14266 x86_64 for f7 and i386 for fc6 rpms.

i noticed -- meaning i found out the hard way -- that myth will allow me to create a source that has no name. well, i guess the null string for a name. and i had a funny thing where it seemed to loose my login and password once or twice.

i'm using one lineup.

after i got the username and password to stick, i ran mythfilldatabase manually, and everything seemed to show up.

tried out the myth prog guide and set up my normal recording schedules, and they all seem to have worked fine. i guess we'll see when one comes up.

currently, i'm up on the SD feed, and all seems fine, so far.
-- john

Bigchris

Post by Bigchris » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:09 pm

I've successfully upgraded one MythDora 4.0 system with Axel's fc6 i386 rpms from testing.

Two sticking points:
It is not obvious that you MUST delete and recreate all video sources in mythtv-setup. A strong note on the first video sources page to the effect that "You MUST delete and recreate your video sources when changing data suppliers" would save hours of time and frustration. Trust me on that!

I wasn't able to pull my analog channels from SD. I'm still puzzling over how to properly set up a mix of ota analog and digital channels. I don't doubt that it's doable, but at the moment the proper technique is not obvious.

Update: The inability to pull analog channels problem resolved itself without my changing anything. I suspect this was just a temporary access glitch with the new servers.
Last edited by Bigchris on Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vjorrand

Post by vjorrand » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:23 pm

Bigchris wrote: It is not obvious that you MUST delete and recreate all video sources in mythtv-setup. A strong note on the first video sources page to the effect that "You MUST delete and recreate your video sources when changing data suppliers" would save hours of time and frustration. Trust me on that!
I did not have this problem.

I am also using atrpms testing on a Fedora install (but not MythDora).
All I had to do is go in mythtvsetup and edit the source to switch it from z2l to SD.

My exact steps were:

# smart channel -enable atrpms-testing
# smart update
# smart upgrade
exited from mythfrontend
# service mythbackend stop
$ mysqldump -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg -c > mythtv_backup.sql
$ mythtvsetup
changed only the source to point to SD instead of z2l and use mynew username and password
$ mythfilldatabase --refresh-all
# service mythbackend start
$ nohup mythfrontend&

Vincent

Ron Garrison

Post by Ron Garrison » Fri Aug 24, 2007 12:30 pm

Bigchris wrote: It is not obvious that you MUST delete and recreate all video sources in mythtv-setup. A strong note on the first video sources page to the effect that "You MUST delete and recreate your video sources when changing data suppliers" would save hours of time and frustration. Trust me on that!
No problem here - all I did was change the source from zap2it to schedulesdirect and use my new user login. I compiled from source code, but I really don't think that it should make a difference. After that I did a mythfilldatabase --refresh-all

Now - my channels are not sorting correctly in the guide, but that's a different issue that I'll investigate this weekend.

Ron

Bigchris

Post by Bigchris » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:27 pm

Strange! After a Yum upgrade I didn't have a SchedulesDirect.org option choice until after all the previous video source selections were deleted. Once that was done, I then had both SD.org and TMS Labs with SD.org as the default. And I saw this same effect twice, once on a f7 upgrade and again with MythDora (fc6).

cfilson

Post by cfilson » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:45 pm

The registration, payment and account setup steps were flawless. Also the lineup for L5C1N9 in Canada (Look TV) was perfect. I've tried my best, but I am yet to find even a single bug in the system.

Thanks for all your efforts.

Chuck

kilobyte

Post by kilobyte » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:03 am

I guess my comment echoes many others.

The SD registration was flawless. I was able to sign up and send a payment with Paypal without any problems.

Upgrading MythTV was somewhat painful (no more than usual though). I've gotten tired of upgrading to every single Fedora release to keep up with Axel's repository, so I always do my own compiles now. I've had a few annoyances, but nothing directly related to SD. Good job guys. I think the subscription price is a bit high, but I'm otherwise pleased.

Torg

Post by Torg » Sun Aug 26, 2007 12:13 pm

Other then it being incredibly slow (like trying to get your listings in the setup where it just freezes for no reason) and downloading xml data about 1/10 the rate I did from DD, its fine.

Registration worked fine, I got in and created lineups before PayPal actually email me the receipt (more like before my mail server scanned the email and spooled it to me).

JRakes

Post by JRakes » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:49 am

I signed up (trial) on Saturday, 08/25. Had some initial issues with the PTVB Manager (I use PTVB for listings on my Palm OS device) in that it wouldn't let me use the new username for SD (different than Z2L.) Checked the DoubleBit forums for PTVB and found some suggestions for a batch file to do it. Wham, Bam, Boom - All is good! :D

After playing around with it quite a lot over the weekend, I was curious what a new, "clean" grab for the day would do. It went perfectly well this morning - Grabbed the data (7 days,) tweaked it (TVTweak,) dumped it into my PTVB folder AND into my Palm Install queue, all in one easy step with the batch file!

No problems with ZIP code, lineup, channels, etc. I'll give it another couple of days and if things continue as they worked this morning, I'll GLADLY throw in my $15!

Many thanks to everyone at SD who have worked on this! There might have been a couple of glitches or bugs along the way, but that's to be expected with a project of this type and none were "showstoppers." I think you've done an outstanding job in pulling this together in such a short time frame. I appreciate it, and look forward to using the SD service.

Thanks again, Gang!

Joe

Follow-up Edit:
Absolutely no probs whatsoever so far! Happily sent my $15 via PayPal this morning (8/29) and my subscription status was immediately updated. Flawless for me so far, including using the batch file w/ xmltv v0.5.48, TVTweak, and PTVB on both my laptop and Palm OS device.

One very happy user here! :mrgreen:

Thanks again, SD Folks!
Joe