Does Schedules Direct service have real time updates?

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!

Does Schedules Direct service have real time updates?

Postby NatalieEGH » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:17 pm

Does the Electronic Program Guide (EPG) provided by the Schedules Direct service update in real time? I did try checking your forum before asking and did not find a posting or thread discussing it.

I am a potential customer. I am asking before purchasing.

I refuse to migrate to Windows 10 until I have a good replacement for Windows Media Center (WMC). I use my PC as my DVR.

I have installed and been testing NextPVR (NPVR) and it seems good including the default Electronic Program Guide (EPG) except the EPG does not seem to update for changes in start or stop times of shows. It provides no real time information. I honestly do not know if this is a problem with NPVR or the EPG, but I have been told by a friend that it is the EPG that has the problem. I really dislike discovering I have recorded only part of a show desired to be recorded because some sports game ran over or the President decided to give a speech or something else. I understand about when special news reports break in like for the Boston Marathon terrorist attack or a tornado is about to hit. No one could know in advance including when they would get information and how long to cover so those even real time information would be kind of useless as reports just break in and the shows continue behind the special reports.

Does your service have a way for subscribers to provide corrections to channel line up? I know this sounds dumb but at least locally there are several channels that report their lineup incorrectly at times. They might say they have "The Real McCoys" scheduled for a time frame and it really be "Mr. Magoo". And for some reason they never correct the schedule information for use by EPG's (I have both TitanTV and the default for WMC and both will be wrong often with the same information but it does not match the real television schedule for the channel).
NatalieEGH

Re: Does Schedules Direct service have real time updates?

Postby rkulagow » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:34 pm

NatalieEGH wrote:I have installed and been testing NextPVR (NPVR) and it seems good including the default Electronic Program Guide (EPG) except the EPG does not seem to update for changes in start or stop times of shows. It provides no real time information. I honestly do not know if this is a problem with NPVR or the EPG, but I have been told by a friend that it is the EPG that has the problem. I really dislike discovering I have recorded only part of a show desired to be recorded because some sports game ran over or the President decided to give a speech or something else. I understand about when special news reports break in like for the Boston Marathon terrorist attack or a tornado is about to hit. No one could know in advance including when they would get information and how long to cover so those even real time information would be kind of useless as reports just break in and the shows continue behind the special reports.

Yes, the JSON service offers a "Is it still running" API for sporting events. An application can query the API to determine if a sporting event has run long and then decide what to do next. If you're using the EPG available over-the-air, then you've discovered that it's not very good in the U.S.

Does your service have a way for subscribers to provide corrections to channel line up? I know this sounds dumb but at least locally there are several channels that report their lineup incorrectly at times. They might say they have "The Real McCoys" scheduled for a time frame and it really be "Mr. Magoo". And for some reason they never correct the schedule information for use by EPG's (I have both TitanTV and the default for WMC and both will be wrong often with the same information but it does not match the real television schedule for the channel).

Yes, you'd login to the Schedules Direct website and open a lineup issue ticket.
rkulagow
SD Staff

Postby NatalieEGH » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:02 pm

Thank you. I have just signed up for the 2 month plan that I think also includes 7 free days.

I will be testing if all is good and if I am happy, I will be upgrading to Windows 10 and changing to the 1 year plan.

Under the application I selected JSON: NextPVR. I am hoping this is correct.

Thank you very much for the prompt reply as I am really getting very annoyed with GWX.exe running in the background (I keep killing it but it keeps coming back) with all its pop-ups in the bottom right corner of my screen. I hope Windows 10 Professional will not be as bad when they decide to go to Windows 11 or whatever comes next.
NatalieEGH

Postby rmeden » Tue Mar 01, 2016 5:07 pm

The SD-JSON service does have mid-day updates. Not sure if I would consider it "real time". They don't update the guide that often.

The SD-JSON service does have that "is the game still on" feature, but that's not really a guide update.. it's separate.

The SD-DD service is normally updated in the morning, without mid-day updates.

If you're using Media Center, check out EPG123... it was just added to the approved list and uses the SD-JSON service to load Media Center!

(The other Robert)
rmeden
SD Board Member

Return to Support