Best Grabber For MediaPortal and SD

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
rkulagow
SD Staff

Re: Best Grabber For MediaPortal and SD

Post by rkulagow » Thu Jan 14, 2016 11:45 am

kg4muc wrote: Currently I am running just a plain STB on the main system where I will hopefully have the HTPC with MP once it's ready.
Are you going to have a DVB card installed in your PC? Or are you going to capture the video output of the set top box using some sort of capture card? I'm just trying to figure out how the output of your set top box is going to end up in MediaPortal.

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Thu Jan 14, 2016 7:09 pm

rmeden wrote:I wrote a wiki page with using Strawberry Perl to run native XMLTV.

http://wiki.xmltv.org/index.php/XMLTVWindowsBuild

I would simply download the full XMLTV source http://files.xmltv.org and follow a normal install to get the XMLTV.PM installed.

Once XMLTV is installed, then download and run the tv_grab_sd_json grabber.

Thank You!!
I will get all the required files downloaded and installed asap!
Is the tv_grab_json grabber file located at git hub or another location?

Thanks!

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:57 pm

rkulagow wrote:
kg4muc wrote: Currently I am running just a plain STB on the main system where I will hopefully have the HTPC with MP once it's ready.
Are you going to have a DVB card installed in your PC? Or are you going to capture the video output of the set top box using some sort of capture card? I'm just trying to figure out how the output of your set top box is going to end up in MediaPortal.
I think I'm confusing you a bit. What I have is actually 2 separate systems with 2 dedicated dishes each. The main system is the one that is motorized and has the best antennas. This is where my HTPC with MP will end up ultimately. It will replace the stb totally

I am researching with the HTPC on system 2 which has a fixed C Band and KU dishes.
It's sort of like a "Proof Of Concept" test actually. I am getting the system ready to use at the final location,making sure I can tune properly, populate the EPG, record and playback etc.

I record quite a bit for later viewing and this way that will go on uninterrupted while I continue to work out the kinks with the HTPC.

I'm just trying to make the setup and deployment time as short as possible for the HTPC when it reaches it's ultimate location. Make it as close to plug and play as possible .

By doing all of this I will truly have a complete Media Center in one convenient location. I understand that this is probably not the norm as far as requests go here but hopefully this will help explain the workings of the system and also the ultimate goals for it.. Please feel free to contact me direct for anything you may need.

Thanks so much for taking time to work with me on this.

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Fri Jan 15, 2016 2:59 pm

kgroeneveld wrote:
rkulagow wrote:On the JSON side, we have FTA satellite lineups. But, that gets you JSON data, and you would need to put it into MediaPortal. There was a MP dev that was creating a grabber, but I don't know how far along he got.
I got curious what FTA lineups SD has. After some searching it seems country code "ZZZ" is assigned for FTA? If I try to do a search via the JSON api with country code "ZZZ" the response is not an array like normal and just contains:

Code: Select all

{"DVB":{"headend":"DVB-S","transport":"Satellite","location":"Global"}}
Am I doing something wrong?

Another user once reported a bug (which I have since fixed) using lineup "ZZZ-28.2E-DEFAULT" with tv_grab_sd_json. Is that an FTA lineup? Should that show up when searching count code "ZZZ"?

Once I figure this out I should probably update the descriptions used during configuration to let the user know how to use FTA and whatever else may be under "ZZZ" with tv_grab_sd_json.

Can you tell me the commands needed to view a sampling of the sat data from say 101°W?
Just beginning to get a feel for things :D

Thanks!

kgroeneveld

Post by kgroeneveld » Fri Jan 15, 2016 6:45 pm

kg4muc wrote:Can you tell me the commands needed to view a sampling of the sat data from say 101°W?
Did you mange to get perl installed and tv_grab_sd_json running? After you have done this the first step is to create a configuration file for tv_grab_sd_json. This can be done in a Windows command prompt with a command such as:

perl tv_grab_sd_json --config-file test.conf --configure
This will create a config file named "test.conf". If you leave out the "--config-file test.conf" part it will choose a default file name for you. On Linux this is ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_sd_json.conf, I am not sure what it is in Windows.

You will be prompted to answer a bunch of questions such as a cache file location and Schedules Direct username and password. After entering a valid username and password it will list the lineups setup for your account. If it is a new account the list will be empty. Type "add" and press Enter to add a lineup. You will be prompted for a lineup or country code. Searching for FTA lineups doesn't seem to work. You can try some of the lineups rkulagow listed. For example, "ZZZ-103.0W-DEFAULT" seems to work. (ZZZ-101.0W-DEFAULT does not work for some reason?) Once you have added at least one lineup you can continue to the next step. The next prompt asks if you want to download entire lineups or select individual channels. For your first test you can just press enter to get the default of "lineups". You will then be prompted which lineups to use. Answer yes to at least one lineup. After this it should return to the command prompt.

Once you have a valid config file you can grab data using a command such as:

perl tv_grab_sd_json --config-file test.conf --days 1 --output test.xml
Once again you can leave out the --config-file option to use the default config file path. You can specify the number of days to download or if you leave out the --days parameter it will download as much as is available.

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Fri Jan 15, 2016 8:16 pm

Thanks for the info! I will print this out and hopefully get strawberry perl installed soon. There is now an install wiki that was graciously added that I hope will get me through the install :)

Thanks again!

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Sat Jan 23, 2016 7:47 pm

kgroeneveld wrote:
kg4muc wrote:Can you tell me the commands needed to view a sampling of the sat data from say 101°W?
Did you mange to get perl installed and tv_grab_sd_json running? After you have done this the first step is to create a configuration file for tv_grab_sd_json. This can be done in a Windows command prompt with a command such as:

perl tv_grab_sd_json --config-file test.conf --configure
This will create a config file named "test.conf". If you leave out the "--config-file test.conf" part it will choose a default file name for you. On Linux this is ~/.xmltv/tv_grab_sd_json.conf, I am not sure what it is in Windows.

You will be prompted to answer a bunch of questions such as a cache file location and Schedules Direct username and password. After entering a valid username and password it will list the lineups setup for your account. If it is a new account the list will be empty. Type "add" and press Enter to add a lineup. You will be prompted for a lineup or country code. Searching for FTA lineups doesn't seem to work. You can try some of the lineups rkulagow listed. For example, "ZZZ-103.0W-DEFAULT" seems to work. (ZZZ-101.0W-DEFAULT does not work for some reason?) Once you have added at least one lineup you can continue to the next step. The next prompt asks if you want to download entire lineups or select individual channels. For your first test you can just press enter to get the default of "lineups". You will then be prompted which lineups to use. Answer yes to at least one lineup. After this it should return to the command prompt.

Once you have a valid config file you can grab data using a command such as:

perl tv_grab_sd_json --config-file test.conf --days 1 --output test.xml
Once again you can leave out the --config-file option to use the default config file path. You can specify the number of days to download or if you leave out the --days parameter it will download as much as is available.
Should I be getting a permission denied each time I try to configure tv_grab_sd_json ?
This has me buffaloed

Thought I was making progress LOL!

Thanks!
Attachments
cmd.JPG
cmd.JPG (35.28 KiB) Viewed 16237 times

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sat Jan 23, 2016 11:33 pm

strange.. is the windows user you extracted tv_grab_sd_json the same one you're using to run it?

I would check permissions and ownership of the file.

Robert

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Sun Jan 24, 2016 12:52 am

rmeden wrote:strange.. is the windows user you extracted tv_grab_sd_json the same one you're using to run it?

I would check permissions and ownership of the file.

Robert
Yes it is ,
I just caught it with a snipper and copied the output.
That is just weird!
I forgot about looking at file permissions I will see if I can locate their hiding place and maybe change them to read/write.

Thanks for the help! Slowly getting there I hope :)

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sun Jan 24, 2016 1:25 am

right click the file in windows explorer.

you can also try copying the tv_grab_sd_json file to a new filename from the command line and try new the file.