Best Grabber For MediaPortal and SD

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
kg4muc

Best Grabber For MediaPortal and SD

Post by kg4muc » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:31 pm

I have had MP installed for quite awhile and have just began relying on it for my recording and such. I am having troubles getting the EPG working.
Basically about all I use here is Satellite FTA. My location is terrible for any OTA.. In fact so bad the local PBS station shut down :)

I'm currently working with the local cable schedule from SD.

If anyone has any suggestions I am more than willing to give them a try. Best grabber that works with xmltv or a totally different EPG setup that will work with MP 1

Will need a NA guide and most likely a Eastern listing.

Thanks in advance!

Wayne
in Va

rkulagow
SD Staff

Re: Best Grabber For MediaPortal and SD

Post by rkulagow » Fri Jan 08, 2016 11:49 am

On the JSON side, we have FTA satellite lineups. But, that gets you JSON data, and you would need to put it into MediaPortal. There was a MP dev that was creating a grabber, but I don't know how far along he got.

Which satellite are you pointing at, or do you have a motor?

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:14 pm

At the moment I have the HTPC with MP1 pointed at 2 birds KU on 87°W and C band on 101°W
I also so have another separate 2 dish system with motors that I use in the living room which has a Amiko A3 for the stb.
It did have a working partial guide that the NA distributor developed but it has gone dark the last month or so.
Would like to import data to it providing I can figure out where the down load URL is coded so it could be changed.

My intentions are to eventually do everything from a HTPC providing I can get things working :) So far things seem good with the MP setup
except the guide setup is messing with my mind a bit.

Any help greatly appreciated

Wt

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Fri Jan 08, 2016 7:37 pm

rkulagow wrote:On the JSON side, we have FTA satellite lineups. But, that gets you JSON data, and you would need to put it into MediaPortal. There was a MP dev that was creating a grabber, but I don't know how far along he got.
I don't think I have seen anything relating to JSON import to MP,but for some reason every post attempt at their forum gets rejected by their AKISMET spam filtering. As long as the data could be imported to MP that would be fine by me.. I'm even open to manual importing of working data if it need be :D

Thanks for the reply!

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sat Jan 09, 2016 1:44 pm

If you need a XMLTV JSON grabber, this one is looking pretty good.. it's close, but not quite ready to be added to the XMLTV project.

It just needs a little cleanup.. was perfectly functional

----edit
where did the link go??? https://github.com/kgroeneveld/tv_grab_sd_json

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:07 pm

Thanks for the information.
I am using( or attempting to use) mc2XML to grab the data from the database.
I was able to populate a few of my channels this way. Does the JSON service
contain a better listing for the NA FTA coverage? If so that's probably what I need
providing I can get the data into xmltv or a similar program to populate the guide.

I apologize for being so ill informed but the EPG aspect of things is new to me
and I enjoy the challenge :)

Regards,

Wayne

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sun Jan 10, 2016 12:39 am

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 10:09 am

Thanks!
I'll check this out!

kg4muc

Post by kg4muc » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:57 pm

rmeden wrote:hmmm link got lost? https://github.com/kgroeneveld/tv_grab_sd_json
Will this grabber work with a WIN10 OS ?
I probably shouldn't have upgraded but anyway..:)
If need be I can reinstall WIN7 on a different drive

Also is there somewhere that I can preview the line up on the JSON service.
I read on the MP forums that it contains a satellite FTA listing which is closer to my needs
if such a creature exists :)

kgroeneveld

Post by kgroeneveld » Mon Jan 11, 2016 7:37 pm

kg4muc wrote:Will this grabber work with a WIN10 OS ?
I expect it could work in Windows 10. I actually just got it to run in Windows 7 for the first time today. However, at this point installation and setup on Windows is not straightforward. Eventually if the grabber is added to the official XMLTV it would get compiled into their normal Windows releases. If you want to run it now you have to figure out how to get Perl running under Windows yourself.

Here is a rough list of steps I did to get it running:
1. Install Stawberry Perl. I used a portable version for my test, although that may not be the most appropriate for what you are trying to do. (http://strawberryperl.com/releases.html)
2. Use cpan to install the following:
  • XML::Writer
    Date::Manip
    DateTime::Format::ISO8601
3. Copied XMLTV.pm and the XMLTV directory from a working Linux install of XMLTV to one of the module paths for Starberry Perl.
4. Put tv_grab_sd_json somewhere.
5. Run the grabber something like "perl tv_grab_sd_json"

Unfortunately these instructions are probably too vague for most people to successfully follow them.