XMLTv Download stopped working...

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!

XMLTv Download stopped working...

Postby SDBevo » Sat Jul 04, 2015 8:43 am

I suspect I missed a notice somewhere along the line over the last 6 to 8 months, and for that I sincerely apologize. Yesterday morning, and continuing today, my daily XMLTv.exe download (xmltv-0.5.66-win32, October 2014, tv_grab_na_dd.conf grabber) stopped working providing the following error:
Error: Can't locate perl518.dll
Make sure the ActivePerl bin directory is in your PATH
PATH=C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\
... <-- Current Path specification, that does NOT include ActivePerl bin directory.

My execution statement is:
"%XMLTvDir%\XMLTv\xmltv.exe" tv_grab_na_dd --config-file %XMLTvDir%\XMLTv\.xmltv\tv_grab_na_dd.conf --days 10 --auto-config add --output %XMLTvDir%\XMLTv\xmltvOut.htm --dd-data %XMLTvDir%\XMLTv\Zap2ItRaw-UTF-8.htm
As detected by the error, I do not have an ActivePerl bin directory in my XMLTv directory structure:

Since this process has worked fine for years, I am not sure what changed external to my XMLTv.exe and/or na_dd grabber versions that now seem to require the "ActivePerl" bin directory, but I would greatly appreciate it if someone could point me in the right direction to download the latest/greatest that will SAFELY fix my error. I am reluctant to go to the Sourceforce downloads for the latest XMLTv (Windows) download due to their recent download integrity issues.

Thanks greatly,
Gary
Application:
Personal research (XMLTV)
Non-Distributed Program (household use only), using XMLTV to download TV listings data.
SDBevo

Re: XMLTv Download stopped working...

Postby rmeden » Sat Jul 04, 2015 9:49 pm

I would look in %TEMP% and remove any PDK* directories there.

You can also try the latest alpha-exe at http://alpha-exe.xmltv.org

There have not been any recent code changes.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby SDBevo » Sun Jul 05, 2015 11:23 am

rmeden wrote:I would look in %TEMP% and remove any PDK* directories there.
You can also try the latest alpha-exe at http://alpha-exe.xmltv.org
There have not been any recent code changes.

Robert, thanks much for the quick reply. Greatly appreciated. I did try both of those suggestions, among many other things, no joy. I rebooted and am back in business. Very Strange. It is interesting that the error message says that the perl518.dll is not in my path. When I learned the PDKxxxx subdirectory in the %TEMP% directory contained that dll, I tried modifying the %path% to specifically point to the directory/sub-directory containing the perl518.dll. That produced the same error. In any case, it is odd that xmltv.exe put the dll in a (Temp) subdirectory and then couldn't find it during the same execution. :? Oh, well, all is good now.

Gary
SDBevo

Postby rmeden » Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:15 pm

Windows sometimes caches DLLs.. it may have been trying to use a cached DLL from a app (or temporary setup like XMLTV.EXE does) after the DLL went away.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Return to Support