Email notice about excessive downloads

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!

Email notice about excessive downloads

Postby rmeden » Thu May 14, 2015 10:34 pm

My next optimization is contacting folks with excessive downloads (max person is over 670 requests a day!)

Here's the text of the email I'm about to send:
Greetings SD Member!

Your schedules direct account has been identified as making more than 50 data download requests a day against the SDDD service. (many members over 200!)

Please check your system(s). The data is only updated once a day, so there is no point in downloading more than that.

I realize some applications only download one day per request but 13 days times x boxes... 50 is still a pretty high threshold.

A snapshot of your download logs is available at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/getddlog

For the best time to download data, you should use an auto-scheduling feature of your application. If your application doesn't support it, you can get a suggested time at http://www.schedulesdirect.org/getack

If you have any questions let me know.. I don't want to block valid use of the service, but we also want to control server load (and costs).

I've created a forum post to discuss: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2682

Before I send it out, what do you guys think? Am I being reasonable? I think I could have handled the load balancing email better, so I'm trying it this way.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Email notice about excessive downloads

Postby undrwater » Fri May 15, 2015 4:47 pm

Completely reasonable. Controlling this improves the service for everyone.
undrwater

Postby wilderom » Tue May 26, 2015 10:30 pm

I got this warning and now I can't download listings. Are the two related? I am in the early stages of setting up MythTV and Kodi for the first time. I set them up and got this warning, so I shut them down and reinstalled 2 days later. Now no listings.

update: listings have returned.
wilderom

Postby harpax » Tue Jun 21, 2016 7:55 pm

I'd ask you make a link to the logs within the website so users can view their logs. I just looked at mine and saw an IP address I didn't recognize downloading using my account. Clearly, my password has been compromised.

I don't know how/when it was compromised, and trust me its about to be changed, but you should perhaps suggest this is a possible reason for excess downloads.

edit: So after I posed this I noted that the mysterious IP was actually API calls from the website on my account. Oh well, I needed to change my password anyway
harpax

Return to Support