Problems connecting to sd-dd servers ( blocking )

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!

Re: Problems connecting to sd-dd servers ( blocking )

Postby jimp180 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:28 am

My subscription expired on the 23rd, I was not aware of this until yesterday. yesterday I renewed my subscription but am unable to get any guide data, I cannot get to the website using the test url either so I assume my IP is being blocked. I don't know why it would be, I have not attempted to pull listings except yesterday and as far as I know Mythfilldatabase only runs once a day weather it gets data or not. at any rate please unblock me 72.47.68.107, thank you
jimp180

Postby rmeden » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:06 am

If you click the support link you can request an unblock. If you email or post here, you'll need to include the IP address to unblock! :)

If your account is not expired, you should only be blocked for a couple of hours.

(right now, it takes 100 attempts in two hours to be blocked w/o an expired account.. that's quite a lot)

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby jimp180 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 7:27 pm

Just got in from work and read your reply, I included my IP in the above post, here it is again: 72.47.68.107, its been more than 24 hours since I renewed my subscription but I am still being blocked. I tried the URL in the first post from another network and can get there ok so obviously I'm being blocked, please fix this.
Thank you
jimp180

Postby rmeden » Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:20 pm

doh! how did I miss the IP???

I hope you edited it to add it later! :)

I removed the ban... sorry about the delay.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby mroc65 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 11:34 am

Looks like I've been blocked. Maybe because I let my account expire? I renewed it yesterday but have been unable to download listings. Will you please check? Thanks.
mroc65

Postby lsymms » Tue Jan 13, 2015 7:23 am

I suggest blocking be automatically removed when an expired account is renewed. I was under the impression that my old mythtv 0.25 guide was broken because of the new host for sd-dd. I had attempted to upgrade in October but upgrade scripts were not working on my database so I had to start from scratch. In the process of setting it up I had run mythtv-setup multiple times, which initiated multiple calls to sd-dd, which eventually put my IP on the ban list because my membership had lapsed. I renewed my sd membership but was still unable to test much less access the data. Eventually I tunneled remote traffic through my linux box at work and was able to get the sd-dd service working but it seems to me like if you record the username along with the IP ban you could automatically clear the ban when someone renews.
lsymms

Postby rmeden » Tue Jan 13, 2015 3:46 pm

It's on the roadmap... but things have been quite busy.. SD is a side project for everyone.

I expect to have something working in few weeks.

Robert
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby lsymms » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:21 am

rmeden wrote:It's on the roadmap... but things have been quite busy.. SD is a side project for everyone.

I expect to have something working in few weeks.

Robert

Thanks Robert. For the most part I'm really happy with how you've handled this transition.
lsymms

Postby rmeden » Thu Jan 15, 2015 9:35 pm

Yesterday I started moving some code around on the load balancer to prepare for sending the list of blocked hosts back to the SD.ORG webserver. Today I got back to work and noticed that last night I must have stopped fail2ban ( the application monitoring the logs, doing the blocking)!!

So we've been running about 16 hour without any blocking. CPU usage on the (small CPU) load balancer was down about 8% CPU usage on the 2 (big CPU) daytime servers were only up about 8% each! I expected a much higher load. I guess the login caching really works well and the blocking isn't needed *that* much.

I looked at the logs and we sent about 550k expired account messages, up from 55k. ( about 50+ people with expired accounts are sending requests continuously due to a bug in an application they're not even intentionally using any more!)

I do find that annoying, so I restarted fail2ban with different settings.

Expired: 2 day block after 200 expired (402) responses in 2 hours
Bad Password: 1 day block after 200 bad-password (401) responses in 2 hours

I'm thinking that any properly coded application won't get blocked if they expire, so we'll only block the "bad guys" and I don't need to add the code to move the stuff to SD.ORG.

What do you guys think?
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby milesnorth » Mon Feb 20, 2017 12:41 pm

Installed tvheadend for the first time yesterday and the channels are working in Kodi. Ran grab script yesterday and this morning and got the following message.

Code: Select all
$ sudo /usr/bin/tv_grab_na_dd --configure

Service description 'http://dd.schedulesdirect.org/tech/tmsdatadirect/schedulesdirect/tvDataDelivery.wsdl' can't be loaded: 500 Can't connect to dd.schedulesdirect.org:80

Using the dd.schedulesdirect.org address in the browser results in a blank web page. Not real computer savvy, I believe my external ip is 64.4.226.254.

Any help is appreciated.
milesnorth

PreviousNext

Return to Support