Feed Transition Issue - missing rating info

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
dasoussan

Feed Transition Issue - missing rating info

Post by dasoussan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:54 am

Greetings!

I've been a schedules direct user for a couple of years now ever since building up a mythTV setup to transition away from our 3 ReplayTV / IVSMagic / Poopli for sharing shows setup. I've been a software engineer for 35 or so years, so I'm pretty technical.

I came here to diagnose an issue and see if it is known after I discovered a data issue - have read through most of the transition to json stuff but haven't done any of it yet. It was just added to my list of things to do this morning <smile>.

Anyway, on the MythTV running mythfilldatabase --dd-grab-all, so I'm still doing it the "old" way - the rating on movies appears to have disappeared in the last day or two. On the mythweb, I used to be able to ask for all movies 3.5 stars or above, now none of them show up. Not sure if this data isn't available anymore or not via the old method.

If I'm reading correctly, then we should be transitioning to the SD JSON method pulling new code and processes off github. But it also seems like there is a shim on the server side that will keep the old method available for those who either can't change their system to use JSON or those without the tech chops necessary.

Did I understand correctly?

If so, then is the rating data no longer available via the old method? Or is it only available via the JSON method?

Thanks!
David Soussan

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Feed Transition Issue - missing rating info

Post by rmeden » Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:47 pm

confirmed bug!

TMS-DD output <starRating>***</starRating>
SD-DD outputs <starRating>3</starRating>

Thanks, Fixed.

Robert

dasoussan

Post by dasoussan » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:31 pm

Robert,

Thank you! Now ... I really don't want to sound like a nit picker... the old scale went up to 4 stars and had half stars between 0 and 4. The new one goes higher - I did a quick look and found 7 stars on A Nightmare Before Christmas and on Dog Day Afternoon (in standard def, 7 stars - in high def, 4 stars. ??? Well that makes no sense.... not your issue, but I'm amused.) Not sure exactly what the scale is from the new source - what their highest and lowest ratings are - and how they compare.

I don't have any raw data dumps to see how they coded the 1/2 symbol in the old scheme.

So I think I've answered my 'is there a shim on the server side that will keep the old method available' question as 'Yes', though the data might not always be the exact same. For the ratings, looks like the compatibility shim solution should scale and present appropriately so the data looks like the old stuff.

Now, for the new stuff... if there is more information available in the new feed, I'd hate to lose that data just for backwards compatibility. In that case, I think a change to MythTV to work with the new and more granular scale would be in order for those that take the JSON feed. Should be pretty easy to tweak the canned searches and filter screen, though I won't go there just yet.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks again!
David Soussan

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:07 pm

dasoussan wrote: Thank you! Now ... I really don't want to sound like a nit picker... the old scale went up to 4 stars and had half stars between 0 and 4. The new one goes higher - I did a quick look and found 7 stars on A Nightmare Before Christmas and on Dog Day Afternoon (in standard def, 7 stars - in high def, 4 stars. ??? Well that makes no sense.... not your issue, but I'm amused.) Not sure exactly what the scale is from the new source - what their highest and lowest ratings are - and how they compare.
When looking for another "star rating" field in the raw data, I found that the importer converted converted the star rating to a number! It was "Stars" in the source!. I've changed the code to reverse the process. (+ is used for 1/2).

Robert

djg

Post by djg » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:52 pm

I got new-server data for October 30 today and still have old-server data for all other days. By comparing showings for the same movie on different days, I see the new server gives 1..7 stars where the old server gives 1..4. (1=1, 2=1.5, 3=2, 4=2.5, 5=3, 6=3.5, 7=4)

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:19 pm

You may have gotten an old version of the server. as of 8pm EDT there are 8 rankings with zero to 4 stars.

Robert

dasoussan

Post by dasoussan » Sun Oct 19, 2014 6:38 am

This morning I'm getting nothing updating. Here is /tmp/mythtv_dpp_data as grabbed by mythfilldatabase:

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/' xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema' xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XML
Schema-instance' xmlns:SOAP-ENC='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'>
<SOAP-ENV:Body><ns1:downloadResponse SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/' xmlns:ns1='urn:TMSWebServices'>
<xtvdResponse xsi:type='ns1:xtvdResponse'>
<messages xsi:type='ns1:messages'>
<message>Your subscription will expire: 2015-05-13T05:10:20Z</message>
<message>Illegal start time 2014-10-17T13:35:30Z: adjusting</message>
<message>Illegal stop time 2014-11-03T13:35:30Z: adjusting</message>
</messages>
<xtvd from='2014-10-18T13:35:33Z' to='2014-11-02T13:35:33Z' schemaVersion='1.3' xmlns='urn:TMSWebServices' xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance'
xsi:schemaLocation='urn:TMSWebServices http://docs.tms.tribune.com/tech/xml/sc ... msxtvd.xsd'>
<stations>
</stations>
<lineups>
<lineup id='MI21590:X' name='Comcast' location='Birmingham' type='CableDigital' device='Digital' postalCode='48009' >
</lineup>
</lineups>
</xtvd>
</xtvdResponse>
</ns1:downloadResponse>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

dasoussan

Post by dasoussan » Mon Oct 20, 2014 6:43 am

More data ...

when mythfilldatabase is run with --dd-grab-all, it is no longer adding any data into the program guide.
When run normally, I am getting new data.

Ratings are updating to the correct numbers now.

Thought you'd want to know.

Thanks!
David Soussan