DataDirect replacement service going live!

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!

Re: DataDirect replacement service going live!

Postby RonF » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:00 pm

For those using my 'xtvd-tools' package, I just posted version 1.3.2 which updates the URL and switches to HTTP Basic auth. It appears to work against the new backward-compatible web service.

I've started to write a new version which targets the JSON service, but it may be a while before that's ready. In the meantime, I'm hoping this version will keep things working for everyone. The new version can be downloaded from:

http://www.timeheart.net/xtvd-tools/

Feel free to contact me at the e-mail address listed on that page if you have any problems.
RonF

Postby aircarver » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:22 am

I'm having no luck with the 'add line to hosts file' fix. (I've been giving this a go for two weeks now.)

I'm running 5 Mythbuntu 12.04 machines and one LinHes 8.1.1, and they all report 'successful' ... but they all increment down another day of 'data available' ....
and no 'next grabber time'.
aircarver

Postby bill6502 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:43 am

aircarver wrote:I'm having no luck with the 'add line to hosts file' fix. (I've been giving this a go for two weeks now.)

Please put the output of mythfilldatabase -v file,network --dd-grab-all in a pastebin and
put the link to it here. Also, just to be sure, add you /etc/hosts entry.
bill6502

Postby jrgreenman » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:04 am

What would be the process to allow WiRNS to continue receiving guide data to support my ReplayTVs?
jrgreenman

Postby eblro01 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 am

I added 54.85.117.227 docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com to the end of my hosts file and now I can't log in to the backend with puTTY. Mythfilldatabase reports the update works successfully, but is not actually adding new schedule data, so obviously it's not really connecting to the Internet, and not really updating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've searched through the FORUM and no one else appears to be having this problem?
eblro01

Postby rmeden » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:30 am

I don't see how editing a hosts file can prevent a login. I'm sure a MythTV user will post here, or you can try one of the Myth support channels (mailing list, forum, IRC)
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby mattmorales » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:12 pm

Even updating the script tv_grab_na_dd to version xmltv-0.5.66, is still not downloading data. The only thing I get is:
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='utf-8'?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope xmlns:SOAP-ENV='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/' xmlns:xsd='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema' xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xmlns:SOAP-ENC='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/'>
<SOAP-ENV:Body><ns1:downloadResponse SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle='http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/' xmlns:ns1='urn:TMSWebServices'>
<xtvdResponse xsi:type='ns1:xtvdResponse'>
<messages xsi:type='ns1:messages'>
<message>Your subscription will expire: 2015-08-12T12:52:41Z</message>
</messages>
<xtvd from='2014-10-22T00:00:01Z' to='2014-10-29T00:00:01Z' schemaVersion='1.3' xmlns='urn:TMSWebServices' xmlns:xsi='http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance' xsi:schemaLocation='urn:TMSWebServices http://docs.tms.tribune.com/tech/xml/sc ... sxtvd.xsd'>
<stations>
</stations>
<lineups>
<lineup id='5024904:-' name='Cablevision Mexico' location='Mexico City, Mexico (Digi)' type='Cable' device='Cable' postalCode='904MEX' >
</lineup>
<lineup id='5026260:-' name='Maxcom Telecomunicaciones' location='Mexico, MX (Digital)' type='Cable' device='Cable' postalCode='260MEX' >
</lineup>
</lineups>
</xtvd>
</xtvdResponse>
</ns1:downloadResponse>
</SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

I did a test using a regular lineup instead pseudo zip codes, and it is able to retrieve data. This issue came along with the tribune and schedules direct changes.

Another test I did, was using de url www.schedulesdirect.org/getdata direct on the browser and it is getting data, so the information is there, but looks that something is not working specifically with the tv_grab_na_dd script and with the pseudo codes 904MEX, 260MEX.
mattmorales

Postby rchandra » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:14 pm

[quote="eblro01"]I added 54.85.117.227 docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com to the end of my hosts file and now I can't log in to the backend with puTTY. Mythfilldatabase reports the update works successfully, but is not actually adding new schedule data, so obviously it's not really connecting to the Internet, and not really updating. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I've searched through the FORUM and no one else appears to be having this problem?[/quote]

no, not so much

"can't log in to the backend" could mean a lot of things. General advice when asking for help: when you want to report "I can't..." something, ALSO write the answer to the question "what happens when you try?" As a caveat, unfortunately a lot of software only prominently offers very generic error messages, such as the oft quoted I.E. "page cannot be displayed." If you look carefully at all the gobbledygook Microsoft puts on that page, sometimes you'll actually find something a LITTLE more useful, such as "DNS error" or "host not found" or "connection refused," but that's a lot to hope for these days. So that's a long way of saying it's unfortunate with some modern software, there is nothing more specific than something very generic, so you MAY not be able to give a lot more detail. Also try to be reasonably specific. For example, when you're trying to log into your backend, are you using PuTTY's SSH, or are you perhaps using its Telnet capability? These days, I realize using Telnet is rare because it's in many ways insecure, but I just thought I'd cover that base too. Is your backend Linux?

If it is Linux, a lot of what goes on with SSH when you connect will be trying to determine the host name from the remote IP address, sometimes mostly for logging purposes. If sshd is "feeling particularly paranoid," if that sort of thing fails, it may elect not to allow the connection at all and close the socket. I don't know, and in particular you may have some option like that in your SSH configuration. All I can tell you is, from my experience, when DNS wasn't working properly (say, the configured primary is unreachable, and it had to failover to secondary after timing out) it took closer to a minute to log in instead of seconds for me. So...THAT is a long way of saying, I suspect there is something in your hosts file you didn't intend, it is therefore not in required format, and programs are failing name-to-address and address-to-name translations. The format of a hosts file is "(address) (white space) (canonical name) [ (white space) (alias)... ]" where what's in the parentheses needs to be substituted (without the parens), and "white space" means either space or TAB, brackets indicate optional parts and are not part of what's in the file, and an ellipsis means those items can be repeated (and also not part of what's written in the file). For example, it is conceivable the editor you used to edit hosts could have written a Unicode byte order mark at the beginning of the file when you wrote it out. You could have accidentally started the line with a space. I'm not sure how the address routines will treat a final line which does not have a newline at the end; I would make sure it's there just to be safe.

Name resolution is also affected on *ix (e.g. Linux) by nsswitch.conf, and by registry entries on Windows. nsswitch on Linux for example will have a hosts entry, and options of dns, files, and possibly other things such as nis or ldap. It's doubtful this was modified, but that is basically where the library routines will start with name resolution. Most Linux systems have "files" as the first option, so that trick in /etc/hosts works OK (but may not, for example if "dns" is before "files"). Then if DNS is used, resolv.conf is consulted for information on DNS servers.

I hope some of this helps. Hopefully if nothing else, you'll have a better idea of what's happening "under the hood" on your system.
rchandra

Postby rchandra » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:29 pm

I would like to thank the fine folks at SD for providing us with a replacement service which more-or-less exactly duplicates what Gracenote was doing in light of their announced shutdown. I was able to go into my MythTV source, change the protocol and hostname string as described, re-make(1), copy a new libmythtv.so* to /usr/lib, run mythfilldatabase, and it seems to have worked without any apparent errors. Time will tell if this will work in the future, but I would expect it would have barfed immediately if there were anything genuinely wrong.

I would also like to say, I was surprised to see the email this morning, and to visit the forums (fora?) here and see that this service change had been announced a little over a month ago. I want to stress it's much better to see the email today than to have seen it any later, but I just wish I could have seen an announcement sooner. Thank you for giving us at least a week and a half to adjust.
rchandra

Postby bill6502 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:10 pm

eblro01 wrote:Mythfilldatabase reports the update works successfully, but is not actually adding new schedule data, so obviously it's not really connecting to the Internet, and not really updating.

If you're referring to the MythTV message: "mythfilldatabase ran, but did not insert any new data into the Guide for 1 of 1 sources. This can indicate a potential grabber failure",
then the key word is "can". For example if you run mythfilldatabase more than once daily (e.g. while testing), then you're very likely to see the message after the 1st run and until
new data is downloaded from SD. Best to run it with -v network,file and pastebin the output so others can look at it. Or, just wait 'til tomorrow and see if the message goes away.
bill6502

PreviousNext

Return to Support