Can I pay for a longer membership

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!
KarterJK

Can I pay for a longer membership

Post by KarterJK » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 am

I realize that there is a 1year membership, but can one pay for like a 5 year, or if I made multiple separate year payments would it just keep adding another year on

gtb

Re: Can I pay for a longer membership

Post by gtb » Sun Sep 01, 2019 8:48 pm

KarterJK wrote:
Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:43 am
I realize that there is a 1year membership, but can one pay for like a 5 year, or if I made multiple separate year payments would it just keep adding another year on
(this is an old topic, but...)

SD has previously stated that because they cannot properly estimate future costs (upstream can change rates at each renewal period), and their costs/subscriber depends on the subscription numbers (if 80% of their customers went elsewhere they could not reduce their overheads 80%) they do not offer long term subscriptions.

I suppose if they were big enough they could obtain insurance to cover the various hedging bets to deal with the potential increases and decreases. but then you would be paying someone else to place the bets on the future. Or you can find someone willing to place the bets. and automatically renew the contract (likely at a cost far in excess of the $25/yr pricing).

Personally I would like for a compromise where if the subscription expired in less than a year I could renew it for another year which might work well based on my financial funding availability (so I might get up to 23 months on the current price), and not constrained to renew to just a within a few months when I started my original subscription. Such an option would constrain the worse case loss/gain for SD (although in my particular case middle of the year works out well).

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Can I pay for a longer membership

Post by rmeden » Sun Sep 08, 2019 7:55 pm

Yes, that would limit our liability, but another reason not to allow longer terms is support. If someone subscribed for 23 months and 13 months in demanded a refund (even though we officially don't offer it) the time to do the refund via PayPal/Amazon would be long gone.

I do have the ability to remove the 45 day restriction on renewals for special cases. I think the last time it was done when someone was going on a military deployment and didn't want the home DVR to stop working.

If you do have a special case, email admin@sd and I can help you.

Robert