mythfilldatabase not updating - solved

Forum rules
Get Help using the Schedules Direct service. NOTE: application issues are probably better resolved via the application's support methods. If you post here, at least include your application name!

mythfilldatabase not updating - solved

Postby Barry_IA » Sun Nov 26, 2017 3:01 pm

Hi Folks!

Admittedly an odd first post but I think I found the solution to my problem of why my mythfilldatabase wasn’t updating. The folks over at the MythTV forum sent me over after determining SchedulesDirect was blocking - thread is “mythfilldatabase not updating since last week’s boot” (started approximately November 19, 2017).

Semi-quick summary: noticed the programme guide was not updating; not a big deal as know the update times vary and occasionally an update won’t insert properly. Also eventually noted the start and finish times were one minute less than the current time.

As noted in the title of my MythTV forum post I was thinking the issue was due to a system update I may have done one around the time the problem started. Tried another update. Eventually found Curtis Gedak’s post http://lists.mythtv.org/pipermail/mytht ... 85546.html which described my issues exactly, except his solution didn’t work for me.

Last night while waiting for validation to this forum was looking around on my DSL gateway for something else and stumbled on the NAT Table. I’m not quite sure what a NAT Table is for but for some reason looked at it and saw a vaguely familiar IP address – was the one for SchedulesDirect but it was listed with a Frontend! For some reason my laptop had established a connection and causing some strange stuff to occur. The laptop had been on standby; shut it down, rechecked the NAT Table, no longer listed. This morning retrieved listings (mythtv-setup, #4 Video), everything working normally! :)

So figured I’d post to give another option as a solution of why mythfilldatabase does not update.

Using Mythbuntu 16.04, Frontend version 0.28

Barry_IA
Barry_IA

Re: mythfilldatabase not updating - solved

Postby rmeden » Sun Nov 26, 2017 11:27 pm

Not really sure what you're saying here... maybe your backend and front-end had the same IP address and that confused your router?

Do you use DHCP for both or did you give the back-end a static IP in the DHCP range?
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby Barry_IA » Mon Nov 27, 2017 6:32 am

Hi!

No, the Frontend (Laptop) has an IP of 192.168.0.37 and the Backend has an IP of 192.168.0.13. Backend and a few other devices given static address (especially the Backends! <g>) Can post the extracts from the NAT Table if you want.

Barry
Barry_IA

Postby rmeden » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:37 pm

What's the DHCP range on your router? Does it include 0.13? (it shouldn't)

A NAT table is generally dynamic... most routers don't even display it.... except to for port forwarding.
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby Barry_IA » Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:37 am

Hi!

rmeden wrote:What's the DHCP range on your router? Does it include 0.13? (it shouldn't)

I'm going to say the gateway does not but as I'm not 100% certain so will give a long answer:

Advanced Settings > IP Addressing > DHCP Settings:
Modem: 192.168.0.1
Beginning DHCP Address: 192.168.0.20
End DHCP Address: 192.168.0.254

Basically configured it that way so certain computers (like the Backends over the years) would not have their address taken when coming back up from an extended power outage.

rmeden wrote:A NAT table is generally dynamic... most routers don't even display it.... except to for port forwarding.

Right: the NAT Table updates no idea how quickly; does have a Port Forwarding page. Oddly based on what you're saying the NAT Table is under the Modem Status page and the Port Forwarding under Advanced Setup.

Barry
Barry_IA

Postby rmeden » Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:21 pm

dhcp starts at .20 so .13 should be safe from DHCP assignment.

No idea what's causing your problem. :(
rmeden
SD Board Member

Postby Barry_IA » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:43 pm

rmeden wrote:dhcp starts at .20 so .13 should be safe from DHCP assignment.
No idea what's causing your problem. :(

Ok - thanks for the verification. Just another quirk -- swear there's a ghost or something around here at times!

At least we sort of know to check for oddball accesses to the SchedulesDirect site to rule out oddities such as the one here. Figured if it helped some other user worth the posting.

Barry_IA
Barry_IA

Return to Support