- Early last year Schedules Direct (SD) was notified that Gracenote (formerly Tribune Media Services) is discontinuing their "Data Direct" service (we'll called it TMS-DD) used by SD members.
- SD developed two self-hosted solutions, one modern JSON based one, and another almost identical to TMS-DD. (we'll call it SD-DD).
- In September, applications came out with new releases to use SD-DD or SD-JSON and instructions were posted on a "hosts file" hack to use SD-DD without application changes.
- A blast email was sent to all SD members informing them of the change and suggesting fixes in preparation.
- At our request, Gracenote updated DNS to auto direct members to the new SD-DD service.
- In early, November TMS-DD was shut down. DNS and a web server continued to direct members to SD-DD00
- The transition was a huge success and very few member had problems considering the size of the change.
- Tribune (former parent of Gracenote) continued the DNS and webserver changes so many SD members simply continued to work.
- Early February, Tribune shut down a document webserver causing problems for some of these members.
We didn't know how long Tribune would maintain the old servers, and it looks like things are shutting down. Thankfully, the delay has allowed a much smoother transition.
So, what do members need to do now?
The first thing to do is check with your application team to see if a newer version is available that supports SD-DD or SD-JSON natively.
If you wrote your own code, most applications just need to replace the two TMS hostnames with "dd.schedulesdirect.org".
- Code: Select all
If you can't update your application, edit your local system hosts file to "trick" the network. (no application changes necessary!) The problem with this solution, is should we change IPs (not planned), a future change will be needed.
On Unix/Linux/Mac edit /etc/hosts (superuser required).
On Windows, edit %SYSTEMROOT%\system32\drivers\etc (normally c:\windows\..., (admin rights required, make sure your editor doesn't add ".TXT)
Add this line:
- Code: Select all
188.8.131.52 docs.tms.tribune.com webservices.schedulesdirect.tmsdatadirect.com
That's it! Hopefully this won't cause you too much pain. There are many topics in the forum that talk about the changes. Feel free to post in an existing topic or create your own should you need some help. You can also contact us directly, but generally searching the forum is the fastest way to get support.
President, Schedules Direct.