Determining the language a program is in

glugglug

Determining the language a program is in

Post by glugglug » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:25 pm

How do I determine what language each program is in? Is it the same as the language field of the first description entries?

(Somewhat related, the titles and descriptions are arrays -- are they prioritized, so that if an app only supports 1 or 2 titles per program, the best title is the first one? Oddly I see that the MXF format for WMC wants 1 series title and 2 descriptions (short & long) in the program entry for the episode, and 2 of each (short & long versions) at the series level.)

rkulagow
SD Staff

Re: Determining the language a program is in

Post by rkulagow » Sun Oct 25, 2015 7:42 pm

Do you mean the original language, or the language as currently broadcast (like an episode of "Castle" that is broadcast in English on ABC in the U.S., or Danish in Denmark)

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:25 pm

Current broadcast language.

rkulagow
SD Staff

Post by rkulagow » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:35 am

Sorry for the lag; busy here. I'm finding out from our upstream how they encode the broadcast language as opposed to the description language.

rkulagow
SD Staff

Post by rkulagow » Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:43 am

OK, so I got a response back, but it's both vague _and_ specific!

The station itself will contain a broadcast language array.

The description of a program contains the language of the description.

However, that doesn't mean that the program is actually broadcast in the description language. (I used my knowledge of Danish TV, which has lots of American programs broadcast in English)

Bottom line: there are no per-program tags in the upstream data that indicate which language a program is broadcast in, and the description language is not necessarily an indicator.