Additional details in listings data

Slugger

Additional details in listings data

Post by Slugger » Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:28 pm

What are the chances of getting additional details added to the listings data from SD? Specifically, I'm after the following details:
  • Season and episode number
  • Live airing flag (used for sports events to distinguish the live airing vs. a tape delayed replay of the event)
  • Season/series premiere
  • Season/series finale
All of these fields are available in the listings shown on zap2it.com so presumably Tribune can be feeding this data into the SD feed. Can we get it added?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Re: Additional details in listings data

Post by rmeden » Sun Sep 18, 2011 10:21 pm

• There is a season and episode # in the feed, but the format is determined by the show producer.
  • There is a LIVE flag. Also it's probably safe to assume SP* Episode IDs are live.
  • Season/Series premiere is available in some Tribune products but not Data Direct. It has been requested.
  • Season/Series finale is available in some Tribune products but not Data Direct. It has been requested.

Slugger

Post by Slugger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:58 am

There is a season and episode # in the feed, but the format is determined by the show producer.

True, but z2i.com actually shows SxxEyy on their site so they're doing the conversion (or much more likely, also adding the actual season/episode number into other feeds besides Data Direct). As you say, the current data is in an unknown format and can't be reliably converted to season/episode numbers. I'm fairly certain, based on the data received from other software also using Tribune, that these fields are available, but probably just not in the Data Direct feed.

There is a LIVE flag. Also it's probably safe to assume SP* Episode IDs are live.

Are you saying the current SD feed already has the live flag? Is this a (very) recent change? Last time I inspected my raw listings feed there was no sign of the flag for sporting events where I expected to see it (and where it was visible on z2i.com). No, it's not safe to assume all SP* IDs are live. :) Baseball/football/hockey games are rebroadcast many times after the live airing completes. Usually these rebroadcasts are edited for time, etc. The live flag helps to ensure that you're indeed recording the actual live telecast.

Season/Series premiere is available in some Tribune products but not Data Direct. It has been requested.
Season/Series finale is available in some Tribune products but not Data Direct. It has been requested.

Ok.

So would you say it's a decent chance these fields could be added or is Tribune less than responsive to these types of requests?

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Mon Sep 19, 2011 8:34 am

I'll make a request to Tribune for a season/episode # field in the data. I think I remember discussing it during some meetings, but doesn't hurt to do it again.

RE: Life flag.
I just looked at the SP* Episode IDs in some data I had downloaded. None had a live (or new flag for that matter), but it was safe to consider all "live".

Can you give an example of a SP* Episode # that isn't live?

Robert

Slugger

Post by Slugger » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:42 am

z2i_live.jpg
"Live" airings flag from z2i
z2i_live.jpg (23.84 KiB) Viewed 16138 times
RE: Life flag.
I just looked at the SP* Episode IDs in some data I had downloaded. None had a live (or new flag for that matter), but it was safe to consider all "live".

Can you give an example of a SP* Episode # that isn't live?
So today on YES at 13:00 EDT they are showing MLB Baseball: Minnesota Twins at NY Yankees (SP002504200000). This is the live airing of the game.

And tonight at 19:00 EDT on YES they are showing the same game with the same show ID (SP002504200000).

The attached screen shot shows how z2i is distinguishing the live airing from the replay.

The 19:00 airing is a replay/rebroadcast of the game, which is edited to fit in the three hour window so if you record the 19:00 airing, you're not actually going to record the entire game, but the edited version, which is usually not desirable. On some channels, these replays don't air until the early morning hours and so depending on conflicts, etc., a PVR may choose to record the replay airing at 3am the morning after the game. It's usually undesirable to record a game 8-12 hours after it's been played. Most users want live events recorded live and with the live flag such constraints can be enforced.

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:34 pm

I used XMLTV to download the raw data... here's what the records look like.

Code: Select all

<schedule program='SP002504200000' station='30017' time='2011-09-19T17:00:00Z' duration='PT03H00M' stereo='true' closeCaptioned='true' new='true'/>
<schedule program='SP002504200000' station='30017' time='2011-09-19T23:00:00Z' duration='PT03H00M' stereo='true' closeCaptioned='true'/>
<schedule program='SP002504200000' station='30017' time='2011-09-20T13:00:00Z' duration='PT03H00M' stereo='true' closeCaptioned='true'/>
There is a difference, the first one is flagged as "new".

I just checked the XTVD schema and while I could have sworn there was a LIVE flag, there is not.

All shows are reported to be 3 hours. Normally if an episode is edited, TMS assigns it a different program-id.

So in this case, you can use the "new" flag to ensure you get the live version, but it's also possible that the other 2 are identical. (maybe they only edit it if it runs long).

Robert

eisenb

Post by eisenb » Thu Aug 09, 2012 6:26 pm

Robert,

It looks like SD still does not have premiere/finale info, is there any update on that? It would be very helpful to have that info.

Thanks.

Bruce

rmeden
SD Board Member

Post by rmeden » Fri Aug 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Sure would.. but unfortunately it's not in the data-direct feed.

RobertK is doing some experiments with the flat file feed, when he's ready to test it, that may have the data.

Robert

rkulagow
SD Staff

Post by rkulagow » Fri Aug 17, 2012 8:08 pm

rmeden wrote:Sure would.. but unfortunately it's not in the data-direct feed.

RobertK is doing some experiments with the flat file feed, when he's ready to test it, that may have the data.

Robert
Here's an example of program information in the new data format (it's JSON and not really made for human reading, but I'll highlight)

{"subject_to_blackout":false,"educational":false,"joined_in_progress":false,"left_in_progress":false,"net_syn_source":"","part_num":"0","sex_rating":false,"cc":false,

"stereo":false,"new":true,"cable_in_the_classroom":false,"duration":"3600","dialog_rating":false,"num_parts":"0","enhanced":false,"dolby":"","live_tape_delay":"",

"hdtv":false,"premiere_finale":"Season Premiere","tv_rating":"","prog_id":"EP014115120009"

,"fv_rating":false,"net_syn_type":"","violence_rating":false,"letterbox":false,"lang_rating":false,

"air_date":"2012-08-17","dvs":false,"air_time":"02:00:00","datatype":"schedule","3d":false,"time_approximate":false}

{"reduced_descr1":"Seven chefs scavenge for their ingredients and tools; freeze-dried foods; fires from scratch.","reduced_descr3":"Chefs scavenge for their

ingredients.","made_for_tv":false,"reduced_descr2":"Seven chefs scavenge for their ingredients and tools.","reduced_title2":"Extreme Chef",

"reduced_title4":"Extr. Chef","modified":"2012-08-17 09:19:59","descr":"Seven chefs scavenge for their ingredients and tools; freeze-dried foods;

fires from scratch.","color_code":"Color","epi_title":"Doomsday Survival","title":"Extreme

Chef","md5":"ebXFnlugQm2Sfa4s9DG6Bw","alt_title":"","orig_air_date":"2012-08-16",

"descr2":"Seven chefs scavenge for their ingredients and tools; freeze-dried foods; fires from scratch.","descr2_reduced":"Seven chefs scavenge for their
ingredients and tools; freeze-dried foods; fires from scratch.",

"cast_and_crew":["Contestant:Scott Brandolini","Contestant:Susanne Dillingham","Contestant:Terry French","Contestant:Lance Knowling","Contestant:Viet Pham","Contestant:Isadora Sarto","Contestant:Tiffany Ward","Host:Marsh Mokhtari"],

"descr_lang_id":"English","reduced_title1":"Extreme Chef","source_type":"Network","prog_id":"EP014115120009",

"reduced_title3":"Extreme Chef","alt_syn_epi_num":"","show_type":"Series","syn_epi_num":"XC0201","datatype":"program"}

So, if your application is able to use the new format, then information such as "Season Premiere" can now be included when it is available.

The new format is discussed in viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1312