Same person with different name IDs

Use this forum to discuss issues related to the SD-JSON service.

Same person with different name IDs

Postby skst » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:52 pm

It appears that some people in the cast/crew arrays have different name IDs even though they're the same person.

For example:

Kaley Cuoco : nameId == 170824
Kaley Cuoco-Sweeting : nameId == 801437

The actor should have the same name ID even if they change their maiden name when they get married.

https://github.com/SchedulesDirect/JSON ... m-Response

Also, the documentation says the field is "nameID," but in practice, it's "nameId."
----------------------------------------

USA-IL58819-X
WOW Chicago Suburbs - Digital
USA 60005
skst

Re: Same person with different name IDs

Postby gtb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:11 pm

skst wrote:The actor should have the same name ID even if they change their maiden name when they get married.

I am actually not sure that is true, since it is a "credit" on the film/show, and I believe that has to be accurate according to all sorts of obscure rules from the various unions/trade groups.

However, you do have a valid point that it is desirable for their to be related entities, as some actors/directors/writers will sometimes choose to use different names as credits (either to try to disassociate themselves, or, famously, try to publish while banned like Dalton Trumbo did). I don't know if such a related entity capability exists at Gracenote (I have not checked).
gtb

Postby skst » Wed Aug 22, 2018 12:58 pm

The credit on a TV or movie, of course, is whatever name the actor chooses to use at the time. I'm referring to the Schedules Direct documentation for the JSON interface:

nameID: string for this person. Used to differentiate people that have various names, such as due to marriage, divorce, etc.

If every nameID is unique, there wouldn't be a point to having one at all. (Unless it matched some ID provided by another service, but the documentation doesn't say anything about that.)

USA-IL58819-X
USA 60005
skst

Postby gtb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 6:11 pm

Per the Schedules Direct JSON data definition:

personID: string for this person. Used to retrieve images. Optional.
nameID: string for this person. Used to differentiate people that have various names, such as due to marriage, divorce, etc. Optional

Per the upstream data definion:

personId - uniquely identifies celebrity in one record, regardless of name changes
nameId - identifies one name variation for celebrity

So, if you want one ID to for all possible variants, you need to use personID, not nameID, and/or create you own mapping table.
gtb

Postby skst » Wed Aug 22, 2018 7:37 pm

Great. Another Schedules Direct documentation error bites me. Oh well. At least it's easy to switch from nameId to personId, and all the code I wrote to handle multiple names isn't wasted.

Thank you for the info! Can you tell me where to find the upstream doc? It seems more accurate than SD's version.

USA-IL58819-X
USA 60005
skst

Postby gtb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:17 pm

skst wrote:Can you tell me where to find the upstream doc? It seems more accurate than SD's version.

You have to go to the Gracenote site, and look at http://developer.tmsapi.com/docs/data_v1_1/ however you have to be careful (very careful), because the Gracenote organization and variable names appear to sometimes been translated to something different by Schedules Direct (perhaps due to previous Gracenote API versions and organization and different target goals). So, as with all else, caveat emptor.
gtb

Postby skst » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:58 pm

Absolutely, but it's great to have the "parent" documentation for cases like this. Thanks!

USA-IL58819-X
USA 60005
skst

Postby gtb » Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:45 pm

skst wrote:Absolutely, but it's great to have the "parent" documentation for cases like this. Thanks!

One additional warning is that Gracenote has not updated some of the public API documentation in years (according to the annotation on the bottom of the pages). I would not be surprised that some parts may be more than a little stale. Schedules Direct almost certainly has access to current/accurate data, and are more likely able to provide definitive answers (I just know where to look for answers to the easy questions, for I have spent a lot of time looking at the Gracenote definitions when I wrote my grabber).

Anyway, good luck with your work.
gtb

Postby skst » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:08 am

That may be why Schedules Direct hasn't updated their API or doc in years either. ;)

If you're curious, I'm writing Typecast at 12noon.com.

USA-IL58819-X
USA 60005
skst

Return to SD-JSON service