Lineup identifiers in GBR are changing on 2017-12-15

Use this forum to discuss issues related to the SD-JSON service.

Re: Lineup identifiers in GBR are changing on 2017-12-15

Postby jond2016 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:07 am

Bad Bad Bad change week before Christmas. Normally December is shut-down for IT changes as people prefer not to break stuff for year end/ seasonal holidays.

I have a very complicated MythTV install and getting the schedule direct working took a lot of trial and effort mapping the Freeview/Freesat channel id's correctly for the abnormal channel line-ups I have selected.

I understand the complexity of managing it from your side, but could you leave the historical configurations alone, if they work, fine, if they don't they are not supported and you have to move onto the new versions or provide a transition period for people to perform the updates.

Just turning them off is not cricket and is completely unexpected when the service you provide is so valuable to us home brew TV geeks.
jond2016

Postby wjw » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:08 am

Am I completely misunderstanding this issue? I got the email notifying the change (and had the same reaction over the ridiculously short notice given) and set about working out what I need to do. As it's a while since I set my system up I had forgotten most of how I did set up originally.

Anyway, I finally realised that I don't have a lineup at all as I use MC2XML and have selected the channels I want data for using the JSON service, not the legacy service - and as far as I can see absolutely nothing has changed for me. No lineup so nothing to delete. Without making any changes to my end I am still getting EPG data that appears to be identical to what I was getting before the change.

If this is what was expected it would have been good if the notification had made it clear that this action only applied to users of the legacy service.
wjw

Postby Benjamin Markson » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:37 am

wjw wrote:Am I completely misunderstanding this issue?

I'm also using mc2xml (schedules direct json) and I'm struggling with the changes.

I am alternating between getting this:
Code: Select all
Account status: 4/4 lineups
Deleted lineup: The server has deleted this lineup
Error ........: Delete mc2xml.dat and re-select a lineup

And getting this:
Account status: 3/4 lineups
Account status: Adding lineup
:
Parsing ..... : Freeview - Central (South) - Cable (London)

If I do delete mc2xml.dat and start again (I keep a backup) I've yet to find a postcode area that will give me: 'Freeview - Central (South) - Cable (London)' with: BBC One (South) + ITV1 Thames Valley (North). I'm on the Oxford transmitter (OX3) but if I start from scratch I'm getting things like:

OX3 gives me Freeview - South East [with BBC One (South East) + ITV1 (South Meridian)]
...OX3 is the Oxford transmitter, it is not in the South East.

HP21 gives me Freeview - East Anglia [with BBC One (East) + ITV1 (Anglia)]
...HP21 is served by the Oxford transmitter, it is not in East Anglia.

SO21 gives me Freeview South [with BBC One (South) + ITV1 (South Meridian)]
...this is the best I've found so far but that's a long way from Oxford.

I have no idea how my original .dat returns: Freeview - Central, or why it is intermittently reporting: ' The server has deleted this lineup'.

Something ain't right.

Ben.
Benjamin Markson

Postby KrazyKitten » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:38 am

When I received the email I was indeed pulling data for lineup GBR-0003012-DEFAULT.

So I went in and reconfigured for lineup GBR-0001317-DEFAULT instead. Note that I did not come up with this identifier by myself; it was among the options proposed to me by tv_grab_sd_json. I tested this configuration and it worked.

This morning when checking my logs I noticed that I'd been bumped off this lineup again:
Updating lineups...
Lineup GBR-0001317-DEFAULT in the current configuration is not enabled on your account.
Please reconfigure the grabber or your account settings.

So I've reconfigured once more and am now on GBR-1000014-DEFAULT. It would be good if it stuck this time :-(
KrazyKitten

Postby rkulagow » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:29 pm

Benjamin Markson wrote:
wjw wrote:Am I completely misunderstanding this issue?

I'm also using mc2xml (schedules direct json) and I'm struggling with the changes.

I am alternating between getting this:
Account status: 4/4 lineups
Deleted lineup: The server has deleted this lineup
Error ........: Delete mc2xml.dat and re-select a lineup

And getting this:
Account status: 3/4 lineups
Account status: Adding lineup
:
Parsing ..... : Freeview - Central (South) - Cable (London)

If I do delete mc2xml.dat and start again (I keep a backup) I've yet to find a postcode area that will give me: 'Freeview - Central (South) - Cable (London)' with: BBC One (South) + ITV1 Thames Valley (North). I'm on the Oxford transmitter (OX3) but if I start from scratch I'm getting things like:

OX3 gives me Freeview - South East [with BBC One (South East) + ITV1 (South Meridian)]
...OX3 is the Oxford transmitter, it is not in the South East.

HP21 gives me Freeview - East Anglia [with BBC One (East) + ITV1 (Anglia)]
...HP21 is served by the Oxford transmitter, it is not in East Anglia.

SO21 gives me Freeview South [with BBC One (South) + ITV1 (South Meridian)]
...this is the best I've found so far but that's a long way from Oxford.

I have no idea how my original .dat returns: Freeview - Central, or why it is intermittently reporting: ' The server has deleted this lineup'.

Something ain't right.

Ben.

If the lineups that are being returned for a postal code aren't accurate, please open a ticket at the Schedules Direct website so that we can engage our upstream - they're the ones that are generating the mapping, so if it's incorrect, they're the ones that will need to fix it.
rkulagow
SD Staff

Postby mikepuk » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:22 am

Glidos wrote:You need to choose via postcode not transmiter

The problem is that most people in my particular postcode have access to three transmitters in three different regions: Crystal Palace - London, South East local news, Oxford - South East, Thames Valley local news and Hannington - South and South local news.

South is not South Eastern. South comes from Southampton while Southeast is centered in Maidstone.

As I'm barely eight miles from Hannington and I know what that mast transmits, that's what I have selected in the past. If I now choose "RG14" it only gives me South East regional optons. I'm in Newbury, just north of Winchester. I don't need regional news from Chelmsford or Clacton. Others in RG14 may prefer the London news or Oxford news, neither of which they can select.

I have gotten round the problem by choosing a postcode to the south of me, RG20.
mikepuk

Postby rkulagow » Fri Dec 22, 2017 8:57 pm

Schedules Direct offers a list of Transmitter / Lineup. It's up to the application to present your the list as an alternative to using the postal code method.

https://json.schedulesdirect.org/201412 ... itters/GBR
rkulagow
SD Staff

Postby Benjamin Markson » Sat Dec 23, 2017 3:07 am

rkulagow wrote:Schedules Direct offers a list of Transmitter / Lineup. It's up to the application to present your the list as an alternative to using the postal code method.

I also think the problem is, for example, that GBR-1000083-DEFAULT is covering way to much area.

"Bluebell Hill":"GBR-1000083-DEFAULT"
"Dover":"GBR-1000083-DEFAULT"
"Hastings":"GBR-1000083-DEFAULT"
"Heathfield":"GBR-1000083-DEFAULT"
"Midhurst":"GBR-1000083-DEFAULT"
"Oxford":"GBR-1000083-DEFAULT"
"Tunbridge Wells":"GBR-1000083-DEFAULT"
"Whitehawk Hill":"GBR-1000083-DEFAULT"

You cannot lump everything into an area that stretches from Oxford to Dover. It's been given BBC One (South East) [I1.24337] and ITV1 (South Meridian) [I3.21826], however, Oxford is not in the South East, nor is it in South Meridian, as per the maps I included in my ticket (#16328).

https://ukfree.tv/maps/bbc/17
https://ukfree.tv/maps/itv/23

The old GBR-0001207-DEFAULT was correct with BBC One (South) [I1.24326] and ITV1 Thames Valley (North) [I3.53444]. Is there a replacement for GBR-0001207-DEFAULT that uses these two local regions?

Ben.
Benjamin Markson

Postby JohnLBergqvist » Tue Dec 26, 2017 10:33 am

rkulagow wrote:Schedules Direct offers a list of Transmitter / Lineup. It's up to the application to present your the list as an alternative to using the postal code method.

https://json.schedulesdirect.org/201412 ... itters/GBR

But this data is fundamentally wrong, especially for the lineup matching the Oxford transmitter.

You need to give the region provided from the Oxford transmitter an entirely new line-up (if one doesn't already exist), using the Oxford & Meridian (Thames Valley) versions of the BBC & ITV channels, as described in my original post. it is NOT the same as the main South/Meridian regions.

I have to say it doesn't help that not only do the BBC & ITV name their regions differenetly from each other, but also the names of the regions themselves change depending on what website you read:
This is a map showing the BBC Regions: https://ukfree.tv/maps/bbc
And this is a map showing the ITV Regions: https://ukfree.tv/maps/itv
JohnLBergqvist

Postby JohnLBergqvist » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:44 am

Also, I see ITV HD & ITV +1 (in any region) is missing entirely from the South-East lineup.
JohnLBergqvist

PreviousNext

Return to SD-JSON service